Tokai breezysound TE70 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, the guitar finally came in today. It took the guy over a week to ship, and only one day in transit to get here :x
I posted this on TGP, but here is the skinny. It came with an old school, 70's looking brown vinyl <can't possibly be leather> case = old school cool. Anyway, someone has been neglecting their gear!!! The strings had to be at least 10 years old. I disassembled everything, used 0000 steel wool and some Naptha (lighter fluid) to clean the neck/frets. Then the fun started:

Wow, I think I'm better at this than I first thought
I can attribute most of the issues to horrendous intonation (actually, lack of intonation). This has a pretty neat bridge which each string has it's own slotted saddle (probably aluminum or something though, not brass) just like G&L ASAT's. There was a lot of room to screw the saddles for intonation and this is the first time I've been able to actually set intonation correctly all the way.
I did tighten down the truss rod (closer to where it was originally to give LESS relief) and then I also shimmed the neck in the back/middle area with a small piece of sandpaper. Surprisingly, this did help and I still have more than enough screw length left per saddle to raise up and clear out most of the fretting out.
I still get some pings tuning G -> high E, but everything else is MUCH improved. I also readjusted the pickups heights to get some more omph and get their volume close as well.
A little bit of time and elbow grease with some tools and a tuner and this one is starting to play really, really nice. I think I'm going to stick with this bridge and saddles for now. I may replace the pups, but they do have a cool character and they are quiet as well.
I would like to learn how to do nut replacement/filing one of these days, but I just don't have the time. I might upgrade the nut to bone and the pups on this, that's about it! Oh yea, the knucklehead put an 8 screw blackguard on this 52 Tele, so there are extra holes off center and stuff. I'll need to get a real 5 screw blackguard for this...
Man, feels good to get this dingy guitar springing back to life... 27 years old, nice guitar!

The kicker... I have another guitar on the way from the same Dude... This one is a 1975 Greco LP Special (Model LJ600). I can't wait to see the sorry shape this one is in... might need some help :eek:

You're right, it is a pretty neat bridge on a TE70. :p I'm surprised you're considering replacing the pickups, I love the ones on mine. I'm just waiting to get the bridge pickup back after wax potting, & I think the Breezy is going to be a regular.

8)

tele and a lp special? that sounds like my current GAS list... :lol:

sounds very nice! shame you had to clean it up, i always wonder whether it's better to get a second-hand guitar which has been well played or not... well-played will have dents etc. but might have been looked after better, while one which hasn't been used can look like new once it's been cleaned up... :)

Dave_Mc said:
tele and a lp special? that sounds like my current GAS list... :lol:

Here's a top of the line Tokai LP Special on ebay - don't know for sure but it may have come from forum member togps judging from the truss rod cover. Gorgeous guitar and outstanding specs and construction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250304487522&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Latest posts

Back