THE BLIND TEST ENDED

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right folks! Results time!

First I wanna thank to all that spend their time listening to examples and doing the test.

Then:

1) K01 ST100
2) K02 ST50
3) K03 R-9
4) K04 ST100

That?s it.

Results bring a few consideration with them:

No one really matched correctly all files. Anyway majority admits that st100?s sound is her favourite even if it?s hidden in mind under another guitar model?s name. I think this is very impressive: our ears works really better than our logical structure. So we actually choose our best sound only guided by them. Fantastic.

Another interesting thing is that if a guitar sounds in the medium of our tone expectations, we can?t distinguish one from another, even if features are different (like pick ups, finish, trem block, body pieces); so it was impossible to say which was an st50 or a R-9 (like most opinions about k02 and k03 as same guitar can prove).

It?s quite sure that ?E? stamped handmade scattered wound pick ups or one piece body are features that make difference to our ears. But often we are not able to match those features to the sound we like, so we prefer that but the reason is in the tone color itself, not in the building characteristics.
An st50 sounds great and my R-9 (modded) is also a very good guitar. The ST100 simply sounds better and this is why I prefer it above all? I can do an entire gig (and I did it) with my R-9 without regretting about it but when I feel that certain ?richness of tone colorful? of my st100 I?m very happy.

Great honour to ears. It? quite definite that we are able to recognize the sound we like (or really ?that? best sound); it?s not sure that we can do it basing on instrument features (ok, we know well the difference between a strat and a les paul, but more than one here mistake the st100 for the R-9, for example).

It happens that sometime we spend our money on a guitar that has a certain appeal but that really doesn?t carry out what we are looking for (we know very well our objective). After some month spent in ?best sound persuasion? talking with friend with emphasis and phrasing like ?never played a guitar like that?, we sell it. Or buy another. Does it makes sense? :wink:

Well I can highly recommend to deal with bluesyrat ! I had the pleasure not long ago and Francesco is a very honest and nice guy and absolutely reliable !

Back