Replacement tuners for Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've been playing my LS85S quite a bit over the last couple of weeks, I've sorted out the in phase/out of phase switch, & I have some Bare Knuckle pickups on the way. But, I've realised that the stock Tokai tuners are nowhere near as good as they could be. I'm fine with Klusons on Strats, but I think I prefer Grovers (or similar) on an LP.

But, I read in a recent thread that the holes need to be reamed out for Grovers to fit, & I would prefer not to do that if possible. So.....are there any Grover type tuners on the market that will fit my LR without the need to enlarge the headstock holes?

I usually tend to buy my parts from

http://www.axesrus.com/axemachine.htm#3x3

Mike

Maybe just buy better quality Klusons Mike, I have 2 Tokai's with Klusons and they are both great and stay in tune just fine........Can't quite get your head around LP's yet eh mate.... :wink:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
..Can't quite get your head around LP's yet eh mate.... :wink:

Mick

I think I'm doing remarkably well Mick, after playing just a Strat or a Tele for most of my life! You might be right about better qulaity Klusons, but I have Grovers on my LP Special, & everything about them seems better. I don't like the plastic tulip ends to the Klusons either, I know they look vintage correct, but to me they feel cheap & flimsy.

What Bare Knuckles are you getting?

The PG/59 combo not doing it for you? Haven't got round to putting mine in yet, new acoustic is taking priory at the mo!

Wrong Goldtop! This thread is about my P90 LS85S. I got a set of BK P91s from eBay on their way to me.

You're thinking of the LS60/70, which is another matter altogether. I still have some stuff to finish off on that one, & I'll let you know in your pickup thread what transpires.

:wink:

But I want to get the P90 one finished first, as I think it will get more use. And the neck's slimmer too.

:p

These Tokai numbers confuse me, it doesn't take much these days :-?

Ah P90's different kettle of fish entirely!! I have a set of pseudo SD P90's in my LP at the mo, which will soon be appearing on Ebay.

I shouldn't assume people know what an LS85S is, I remember how it used to baffle me till I got one. It's this, & the Gibson has the Grovers that feel so much nicer.

130_3031.jpg

I think the maple cap adds something interesting to quite a basic sound. Not sure Specials are for me.

Where in Europe can you get a set of Gotoh Klusons for a Tokai? :D

Hi Mike!

I guess the LS85 has the newer 14:1 Gothos. I don't like them at all. You can get a set of 18:1s from Stewmac for some 60 USD. They are really stable.

While the Grovers are better they just don't look right. :evil: I have them on my 84 LS200 where they were factory fitted.

Cheers! Rup

the_man said:
Hi Mike!

While the Grovers are better they just don't look right. :evil:

Hi Rup!

I'm not sure I agree, I don't like the look of those nasty plastic tips. And Grovers onto an LP is one of the most popular Gibson upgrades, isn't it? Even quite a few vintage Gibsons have had the tuners changed.

Paladin2019 said:
ganzua said:
Where in Europe can you get a set of Gotoh Klusons for a Tokai? :D

I've got a spare set! 8)

Hey Paladin :D

I mean a shop. I'd like to install a set of Gotoh Klusons with metallic peg heads and if possible, less ratio.

Are Tokai tuners metric?

stratman323 said:
And Grovers onto an LP is one of the most popular Gibson upgrades, isn't it? Even quite a few vintage Gibsons have had the tuners changed.

I don't like Grovers in a LP but I think it is just a matter of your personal taste. I have Grovers in my Gretsch and the quality of this tuners is superb.

I have sperzel locking I put on my Gretsch and the are simply awesome. check them out.
and with locking I can change my strings in minutes, all of them. It make stage string changes a 60 second ordeal.

I definitely don't want locking tuners of any kind, I just don't see the need for them. The choice is either better quality Klusons with the metal button head, or something similar to Grovers. I just can't make up my mind right now.

Latest posts

Back