Refinish ideas for a mistreated goldstar???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah when i first picked it up and the spray came off the front so nice i was thinking mary kaye strat all day. so i guess i would have to wet sand the left over burst off with a 600+ grit sand paper and hope to not go through to the wood

thanks for all the help, its looking like she'll be a mary kaye girl after all, it'll look boss next to the tweed vibrolux

joe[/img]

one last question since you guys seem to the authority on the matter.
how would a goldstar water slide decal be cut before putting it on? just around the outline of the letters?

take care & be excellent to each other

Does this help?

IMG_3708.jpg

that helps a bunch with the decal, i'm going to keep the original hardware so it won't be an exact

is there a clear coat on that jimmie vaughn relic? it looks gnarly good

This might be some use too - I took a lot of pics over the last few days, & I knew I had one like this somewhere.

IMG_3626.jpg

aquietcabin78 said:
is there a clear coat on that jimmie vaughn relic? it looks gnarly good

There's actually very little finish on the body at all. Bit of a long story, but the first (white Squier) body sounded rubbish, so I managed to get an unfinished one piece ash body off eBay for a good price. The guy who did the relicking work gave it a light coat or two of blonde wash - no idea what it is - and then a coat or two of thin nitro on top.

He returned it to me with the colour dulled down & quite matt, but I buffed the dullness out as I think even a relic should have a bit of shine to it. It sounds great too with the new body.

It was done by this guy

http://www.3rguitars.co.uk/

for anyone who is a bit nearer than the US! And I see that he still has pics on the site of both incarnations - white (crap sounding) body & blonde body too. Have a look at the Sherwood Green one too - he had just sold that when I discovered his site or I would have bought that straight off.

so i'm torn between two ideas:

leave it the way it is with the tattered burst on the back and just re assemble it

or

wet sand off the remaining burst, leave the spots where it is down to bare wood( which will be small) spraying it with a few coats of mary kay white from the ranch and then using a satin nitro clear coat

i've never been able to get past a natural strat w/ a maple neck, tele for sure but not a strat( i guess i'm shallow that way)

aquietcabin78 said:
i've never been able to get past a natural strat w/ a maple neck, tele for sure but not a strat( i guess i'm shallow that way)

I think mine looks amazing (Fender Japan - maybe made by Tokai):

DSC_2308_600x368.jpg

http://pbckt.com/sZ.vyR

okay here it is reassembled, cool looking, its a monster for sure ( in a good way )
put the waterslide decal on right where the old outline was, not bad for my first try at doing one. not cut exact but close enough for me.

with all the burst left on the back, i'm thinking reburst the front and relic the crap out of it to match..b/c i love the burst that is left

thoughts??

thats a bitchin natural strat also

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad356/aquietcabin1978/goldstar%20vintage%20blonde%20refinish%20taking%20shape/

so after a lot of thought i decided to go with the ReRanch Vintage Blonde Nitro & Gloss Clear Coat. started this past weekend.

i have a half of a can of color left to spray then 2 cans of clear, then it will have to sit for about a month before i can final sand and polish

thanks again guys for the direction.....assuming i don't f*^%$ it up in the interim it should be a pretty sweet looking Goldstar ( considering how it looked when i got it)

take care & be excellent to each other

beat *** goldstar no more. start wet sanding sunday..but here's a few preliminary pics

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

if anyone is interested i guess

its not perfect but man i think it looks good

Latest posts

Back