Rare Burny made by Tokai 1978 Goldtop?!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mnfrancis said:
Jacco,

I just realized that the serial number on our Burny guitars is separated by only 6 digits!!!!

Do you think they were sisters going down the production line in 1978?

Interesting

Hey that's super interesting! These are indeed very very similar.
So a few of the questions I had about my guitar are answered;
-The Tokai PCB board with 250k pots is original
-The DiMarzio SDs in mine are not original; the soldering on your guitar is pristine and the wires in my control cavity are left too long.
I have had contact with DiMarzio lately and they confirmed my pups are from 1978, so I thought they were original after all, but not.
Do you know what your pups are by now? They are quite distinctive with that triangular tab, brass baseplate, red wire and 2 holes.

About the weight, mine is 10.1 lbs. Have you measured the thickness of the body? Mine is strikingly thicker than the average LP; the maple cap has normal thickness, so it's the mahogany back.

You have a 2 piece neck too and I guess also an 18 degree headstock angle. At the moment my theory is that the neck isn't Tokai because of it being 2 pieces and the for Tokai non-typical piece of wood at the end of the tenon covering the truss rod.

The body clearly is Tokai because of the routing and so is the hardware, tuners (on mine) and PCB board. The TRC on yours is not original and do you think about the switch tip? Is the finish on yours poly? Do you have the same case?

I am very interested to see close up pics of your 1978 LS60 for comparison; tenon, routing, PCB board, back of the pups, back of the headstock (font of the serial number).

Back