Poly or laquer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petetom

Reaction score
I have a 1982 springy finished in a burst. I used to collect Les Paul guitars and to check for cracks or repairs I would use a uv light to show if the laquer had been repaired. Anyway when you shine a uv or black light on laquer it takes on a green hue. My 82 springy turns green and my 79 which is ow in color doesn’t both are st50 . I’ve tried it on a 92 mim Strat I’ve had for 20 years and it doesn’t turn green under uv. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Last edited:
Test an area you won’t see later like a pickup cavity.

Let us know what you find.

I’m going to do it in the input jack cavity. I’ll let you know when I find out.
It’s poly. Super thin though You can see the wood grain through it. I’ve been playing both my 79 and 82. The 79 is lighter in weight and louder unplugged than the 82. The 82 is darker sounding both plugged in and acoustically. I tend to grab the 79 more often. Both are great guitars.

It is hard to see the grain of the GS in your profile pic, but I believe both are alder.

It may just be the specific pieces of wood used. Amazing how much difference that can make in weight, and even tone.

It is hard to see the grain of the GS in your profile pic, but I believe both are alder.

It may just be the specific pieces of wood used. Amazing how much difference that can make in weight, and even tone.
It is amazing. I think the gs is 3 pieces and the ow one has 2 piece bodies. But the ow spent the last decade in the desert and the gs was near the ocean. That may have something to do with the weight difference and the sound. But both are rich sounding.

Back