Plz help me identify this Love Rock..........

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tWreCK

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a black Love Rock reported to be from '84. The serial number is: 4018511 and according to the catalogs from '84 I believe it to be a TLC 50 model. If this is the case then this guitar should have a one piece mahogany back and solid mahogany top just as a "real" vintage Les Paul Custom would have. Can someone confirm these specifications? The seller says everything is original on the guitar - no mods. This guitar has the metal big oval Grover style tuners (Gotoh?) but I would like to replace these with the vintage Kluson type tuners (Gotoh SD-90) which I think look more in place on a guitar like this. Is it possible to do this without having to drill 2 new mounting holes? My thinking is that it might be possible to use the existing mounting holes and possibly drill an extra hole per tuner - would this work or will I have to redrill new ones? Also - where can I get high quality aftermarket/original parts such as the correct vintage amber top hat knobs with the raised lettering, cream pickup surrounds, rythmn/treble plate, etc? here's a few pics I uploaded to Imagestation. You have to be a member to view but registration is free.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289863655

I would appreciate any suggestions/comments etc.

Peace,
tWreCK

According to the serial number it should be a 1984 model (4=1984, 01=first half of the year). It looks like a TLC but in the 1984 catalog it has gold hardware and also gold covers on the pickups. The tuners should probably be "Kluson" type tuners with plastic "tulip" knobs. They seem to be the same for all LP replicas in the 1984 catalog. The only models in the catalog are TLC-60 (mahogany 2-piece top and mahogany back), TLC-100/TLC-110 (mahogany one-pice top and back).

Mike

Hi guys,

The seller is telling you 'porkies'.... This guitar has been modified - no doubt.
The TLC series came with a mahogany top on a mahogany body and mahogany neck, this is true but ALL hardware was gold plated (not chrome) and the pickups had gold covers and black surrounds, not creme surrounds.
The volume and tone knobs are original .... serial# is 1984 .... model is most likely Tokai TLC-60

regards
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back