new happy user (LC 125 S SEB praise post)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsolight

Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently discovered Tokai guitars on recommendation, i must admit i used to be a hardcore Gibson and Fender only guitar guy. I already own two Gibson US guitars, one is an ES-175 of 1990 and another one is a Flying V Faded of 2002; both are great etc, i also own a Fender Strat Deluxe+ of 1993 with Lollar pickups, amazing guitar as well.

So to complete my collection , recently i was looking into buying a Gibson LesPaul guitar. The only LesPaul guitars corresponding to my "tight" budget were the ones from the Faded and/or Studio line from Gibson USA. I have finally got convinced to try out a Tokai Love Rock guitar and i totally fell in love with it in the store. :p

There was just no question.. for the same price range, this Tokai (LC 125 S SEB) was totally superior in quality and in sounding compared to the entry level Les Paul guitars from Gibson USA (Faded and Studio) , i immediately proceeded for checking out.

Its been 3 days now that im playing it, as i mostly play and record in studio, i have various guitar pre amps (mesa/boogie Vtwin rack, TubeWorks RealTubesII, Sansamp PSA, a marshall EL84 power amp and a Palmer PGA-04 speaker simulator).

The sound is just... astonishing, the guitar feels like a dream, the tone depth , the "honky" sound etc and that sustain that will never end .. etc i had to regain consciousness several times. :oops: the guitar matched all my expectations for the typical "LesPaul" sound ive been looking to get.

So, nowdays how much do you think you need to spend in a trully GOOD Les Paul guitar? does it really have to be a Gibson USA, and an old made though..from the 80's, 90's ? .. and of course preferably a Customshop.. how much ? $2.000 ? $3.000 ? more? that is really not reasonable.

it's 2008, i think its time to change our mentalities.... and that's what i did though. 8)

to-lc125sseb.jpg

tsolight said:
i must admit i used to be a hardcore Gibson and Fender only guitar guy.

Me too (well Fender, anyway). But we learn....

Well, some of us do. :wink:

8)

Mike

and here are some sound examples:

http://eventyde.free.fr/gtr/TOKAILP3.mp3

http://eventyde.free.fr/gtr/TOKAILP2.mp3

sorry for my little doggy *** playing, i need to get used to this tiny neck
:oops:

tsolight said:
and here are some sound examples:

http://eventyde.free.fr/gtr/TOKAILP3.mp3

http://eventyde.free.fr/gtr/TOKAILP2.mp3

sorry for my little doggy *** playing, i need to get used to this tiny neck
:oops:

Wish my playing was that 'doggy ***'!
Sounds great!!

Is this really a Tokai made Tokai ?? We in Canada see a lot of rip offs using that headstock. Where did you buy it.? The fake ones we get were actually made by Dillon apparantly. i'm no expert and if it has the sound for you who gives a f what it says on the headstock.

i got mine from a guitar store in paris, they import Tokai's. it's made in japan and the firs two digits of the stomped s/n begins with 08

i have slightly "customized" it, using Gibson parts that perfectly matched the size and fitted in shape (below the 'before and after' pic):

i installed also a set of Gibson DELUXE tuners (i prefer them over the Grover-like ones), now it looks like some of those oldschool Les Paul Standard/Classic Black Ebony as i just really wanted to have tho. (but couldn't afford a real one) 8)

what do u think?

tokaiyc9.jpg

brokentoes said:
Is this really a Tokai made Tokai ?? We in Canada see a lot of rip offs using that headstock. Where did you buy it.? The fake ones we get were actually made by Dillon apparantly. i'm no expert and if it has the sound for you who gives a f what it says on the headstock.

sounds really bad. I really don't understand why Tokai has no official website and no offial dealers list. If i have not been recommended to check and try out a Tokai, as of today i would probably stick around with some poop made 2008 LP Studio / Faded

I think it looks really really nice. I especially like the big inlays on the fretboard. I didn't mean to cast doubt on your Tokai but I'm only used to seeing that symbol under the name "tokai" on guitars that have been deemed as fakai's on this site. Does anyone know when they started using this symbol ? Like I said I'm no Tokai expert but there are some fake's out there, is this a tokai custom shop symbol or is it a symbol that indicates export tokai's ???. I'm with you ,I really wish there was some actual Tokai website of course then I would have to start learning Japanese, Oh Well. I believe that sometimes you pay extra for just a brand name and why ?? I paid $450 for a used Tokai double cut les paul junior year 2000 and the day before i test drove the Gibson counterpart that I believe was $2300 or so and to my ear the Tokai was nicer. In music hearing is believing although it's nice to have a great looking axe as well and I believe that you have the best of both worlds there my friend. Enjoy !!!!!

Hi broken toes, go back and look at the other posts on fakes, that is a completely different logo... :wink:
official Tokai website..in japanese, if anybody wants it i can give you the translated version as well
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

Mick

brokentoes said:
I think it looks really really nice. I especially like the big inlays on the fretboard. I didn't mean to cast doubt on your Tokai but I'm only used to seeing that symbol under the name "tokai" on guitars that have been deemed as fakai's on this site. Does anyone know when they started using this symbol ? Like I said I'm no Tokai expert but there are some fake's out there, is this a tokai custom shop symbol or is it a symbol that indicates export tokai's ???. I'm with you ,I really wish there was some actual Tokai website of course then I would have to start learning Japanese, Oh Well. I believe that sometimes you pay extra for just a brand name and why ?? I paid $450 for a used Tokai double cut les paul junior year 2000 and the day before i test drove the Gibson counterpart that I believe was $2300 or so and to my ear the Tokai was nicer. In music hearing is believing although it's nice to have a great looking axe as well and I believe that you have the best of both worlds there my friend. Enjoy !!!!!

well, the one i got was slightly more expensive than the other standard ones (non black color) models they had in store, from what ive heard it appears to be a "custom" one, and yes it has this head stock decoration logo thing, which others doesnt.

and the funny thing is, the same day in the same store when i was buying this Tokai; to make me an idea of what i will be expecting, i asked to test drive right after the Tokai, a very nice Gibson Lespaul of 1984 they got (priced EUR 3.900 -thats about $5,000 usd) believe me or not, i prefered the Tokai over the LP :D

That 1984 LP felt and played nice etc; but i have immediately noticed the difference of tone presence and agressivity, the LP sounded somewhat "softer" compared to my Tokai

The guys from the same store proposed me an additional upgrade for my Tokai for later if i want. They would redo the electronics and wirings in "vintage" style and also put on it a set of two great Lollar humbuckers. (www.lollarguitars.com)

at the moment, im still being impressed with the sound and quality of this Tokai being all original as it.. The superior upgrade would bring it somewhat close to the historic LP "1959" level.. , from what they say. but, before doing that i'm gonna check and compare.

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi broken toes, go back and look at the other posts on fakes, that is a completely different logo... :wink:
official Tokai website..in japanese, if anybody wants it i can give you the translated version as well
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

Mick

that is the "official" Tokai guitars japan website? doh... :eek:

well, i checked there,; and the one that looks just like mine seems to be referenced differently as "LC180SS" .. strange

The model numbers change periodically as Tokai have an insane system of renumbering their models based on their retail price.

If you get one in europe which should have been imported by Tokai UK - it is likely to have older model numbers on it....

Which store did you get it from?

I looked on the Tokai website and from what I can see Big Willie Style is right about it being a LS138SEB, anyway if you want to look at the specs here they are
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/seb/lc/lc138sseb/lc138sseb.html

I looked on the Tokai website and from what I can see Big Willie Style is right about it being a LS138SEB, anyway if you want to look at the specs here they are
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/seb/lc/lc138sseb/lc138sseb.html

Back