New forum member begs for ID assistance

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodmeister

Reaction score
*fixed pictures page to show reasonably sized thumbs - sorry about that*

Hello All.

Long time lurker, first time poster here in the UK.
*waves*

I have a question which is probably so routine that no-one may pay it the time, but I'm so stumped at correctly identifying my strat-esque guitar that I require some help, so here I am.

Hope you don't mind but I've posted all the pictures here

The history on this guitar is simple. Bought in 1991 (I think) as an incredibly distressed, single string loner in an even worse state generic strat case. It blatantly appeared to have been refinished (fairly badly in places) and most of all the headstock, which has possibly been re-finished in a colour for the first time (just a feeling but I suspect it was originally natural finish with laquer), has been adorned with THE worst evah Fender decal. My pictures show it just as I realised I could easily remove this decal and it's laquer top-layer without damaging the undercoat - the contour logo is gone on the end... my work.

My problem is this. The respray has obscured any body cavity marks, but the neck shows a reasonable tokai stamp (9-11?) and a lack of any tokai decal on the headstock, means I'm having trouble nailing down the model and year of manufacture. I know it's the cheaper tuners, saddles, and pickups but I like to know where things came from.

Oh I originally paid 110 GBP for it, had one set-up (and mother of all drastic fret-dresses - eek) but I am willing to invest some more in this guitar as it's quite simply a wonderful player in my eyes. Easily superior to some 70's large headstock Fenders I have tried... perhaps not so much the later 80's Fender re-issues. It's a keeper for sure as I tried to consider selling it some time back and it all ended in tears.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long first post and the rubbish camera pics. I had to use my phone but will get some beter pics taken if anyone is interested.

Mark
aka
nodmeister

Sorry about the rubbish pics page I posted last night - I've popped some thumbnails on there now. Click on them to see full size.

Many thanks

Mark
aka
nodmeister

I beg to differ but it looks like a Tokai ST-40 to me.
The curved veneer fretboard and the markings near the truss rod adjuster are Tokai. Chrome tuners are as fitted to the cheaper ST-40 models.
Body routing looks right.
Quite a bargain I think !!!

Latest posts

Back