Need help identifiying goldstar sound..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for this great site. Absolutely incredible. Anyway, I've spotted a Tokai strat copy for sale but would love you guys to tell me more about it.

Seller claims it is mid 80s. It has a remodelled headstock with the script decal and Kluson-style tuners. But it also says goldstar sound on it (I thought it would say AST something).

The only other thing I know about it is that the serial number on the neckplate starts with an L and it has a rosewood neck.

Does anyone know what this could be, what year it could be, what pups it probably has and, in general, whether it sounds like a nice guitar?

Tons of thanks in advance. Scrumpyman

For what I know it's nearly impossible to say anything for certain without some photos of the guitar. The seller should be able to tell more, but here is some thoughts:

Serial number with L and a rosewood fretboard hints that it's a copy of an early sixties (60-64) Strat. The re-shaped headstock seems like it's made in the mid-80's, so the seller seems to know what he is selling. Don't take my word for it though, this is just something you can also check from the Tokairegistry site yourself. And here are some other members who know more.

It's impossible to know what kind of pickups the guitar has, because they may be swapped many times over the twenty and so years. And even more difficult to say what it sounds like. To determine whether you like it or not, you should go and play it. Then to determine whether it's genuine Tokai of some certain year, you should get some detailed pictures from the seller, one from the neck plate, one from the headstock, one from the pickups etc.

Hope this helps.

Back