need help determining which model my new axe is...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokaiLover

Reaction score
hi,

i recently purchased a brand new jap tokai love rock, and i wanna know how i tell exactly which model it is, the guitar store i got it from didnt tell me which one it is,, it just said on the tag that it was a "love rock quilt top".

it cost me ?899.99 it came with seymour duncan seth lover pups it has the most exquisite quilted maple top i have ever seen, but i cant seem to find out what model number it is,, the serial stamped on the back of the headstock starts off 03 which i understand is the year that it was made 2003, but i cant find the guitar model number anywhere on the axe,,, i took the pups out to see if it said in the pup routes but there is no indication anywhere to what model she is,,, is there any other way to find out what model my new axe is from what i've managed to find out on various websites it may be the LS75Q but on the tokai website the ls75q doesnt have seth lover pups.... i hope someone on this forums can help me, it isnt really that big of a deal coz the guitar in my eyes is worth a lot more than what i paid for it, i have played several gibson les paul standards, and customs, and i also played a gibson les paul 59 historical reissue and none of them even came close to the playability and build quality of these tokais, and they cost a hell of a lot less as well.

heres some pics of my new bad boy.... i hope someone can give me advice on what model she is.

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

DSCF0372.jpg

thanks in advance tokai fans.

Tokai only make one model with a quilt top - the LS75Q (renamed LS85Q recently).

Are you certain the pups are SL's? The pups should be Gotohs if you bought it new.

yeah... i was unsure whether or not they were seth lovers... so i whipped em out,, and sure thing it says on the back seth lover, seymour duncan,, it was brand new from the guitar store where i live in scotland,, they had 2 love rocks,, both quilt tops one with the standard pups which was 799 and this one i have with the seth lovers for 899... im totally baffled as to which model she is... but as i said its no biggie coz its the sweetest guitar i have played

75Q in oak. Just got one myself in a different color. Great guitar - here is mine...
quilt.jpg

tok4.JPG

tok7.JPG

tok8.JPG

tok11.JPG

Hey mate,

It is indeed an LS75Q (or LS85Q with 04 mod numbers). I got an identical guitar for 699GBP (i know the shop owner), and funilly enough my shop had only 2 LR available and one of them was mine, it has a serial 03XXXXX as well, and made in Japan inked on the back of the headstock. I havent pulled out the pickups though.

Yannis

lol hey mate... that brown finish is identical to the other love rock that the store had where i purchased my dark cherry quilt top... so why has mine came with seymour duncan seth lover pups... this is baffling me... is mine maybe a custom model?? as the other one in the store had the standard pups and was ?100 cheaper.... whatever the reason shes a beast of a guitar i tell u that... far superior to anything gibson is putting out and for a fraction of the price!!!!

i really think they should sell these lovely guitars with their own hard shell cases... that is the only downfall with the tokais... though the guys at the guitar store gave me a hardcase for much cheapness as i forked out the 899 for the axe

Well mine came with a free Tokai hardcase for 699.

Yours is most likely UK mod with SH55 pickups, so the shop must have installed them, although it is not unlikely that it came like this in the UK with SH55 pickups (custom order for a customer that never bought it).

I agree that the LS85 i got , smoked any gibson (of the few) that i have played.

yeah that was the only conclusion that i could come to... im gonna pop back into the guitar store where the guitar came from and talk to the guys there to find out more about it.

out of curiosity, which pups is better, seth lovers, or EMG81 and 85 set??

i really love the tone that i get with the SLs but was needing to see what other people's opinions were...

i dont know if its worth buying a set of EMGs or not... please post your comments on which pups u prefer..

thanks

EMGs would be better if you only want to play MeTaL MaDnEsS d0000d!!!!11!!1!

The SL's would be better for everything else.

Latest posts

Back