Need appraisal 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound 62 model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toker

Reaction score
I need an appraisal for this 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound 62 model. What is a fair price & I shouldn't pay more than how much? Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&rd=1&item=260285978421&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

That link doesn't work, so we don't know what you're looking at. There are numerous posts on Goldstars - if you use the search facility you should be able to find most of them to get a balanced view.

My view is that they are the best value vintage replica Strats you can buy. They sell for between ?250 & ?350 in the UK, depending on colour & originality. To get anything significantly better than an 84 Goldstar, you need to pay a lot more - like 2 or 3 times as much. And even then, the improvement you would get will amount to nitro lacquer and not a lot else. The quality of materials and workmanship is consistently very high.

My babies:

144_4485.jpg

Mike

Thanks for the response. Nice babies you have there. The one on ebay looks like the middle one. Here's the link again.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-1984-62-Model-Black-Finish-NICE_W0QQitemZ260285978421QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Marcus - the gold one is probably sold to a mate - nice guitar but the gold is far too yellow for me. I'm sure it will be replaced. :wink:

The black one looks fine to me, from what I can see. I wouldn't worry too much about 2 changed pots, everything else looks original, including the neat little Tokai switch. I wonder if it still has either of the stickers on the back of the neck? Not that it really matters, it's obviously an ST50.

124_2439.jpg

Black seems to be the most common colour, so it's arguably worth a bit less than the more interesting and rarer colours. Depends how much you like black guitars, I guess. Original case? I didn't know that Goldstars came with a case? The case should easily be worth about ?50, maybe more, if it is original. But I'm not a case expert. :lol:

Thanks mate. I appreciate the your appraisal. I have an EJ strat & I'm not too fond of taking it out my home studio & worry about having it banged around or stolen. I also like the 62 replicas with the rosewood fretboard & as you said the Goldstar are the best value vintage replica Strats you can buy. I don't mind black. A 3 color sunburst would have been nice. These are great guitars anyway any color. I just need a player that doesn't mind getting beaten around.

Cool, the rosewood Tokai used in the 80s is particularly nice. Keep us posted, & good luck.

8)

noob said:
Thanks for the response. Nice babies you have there. The one on ebay looks like the middle one. Here's the link again.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-1984-62-Model-Black-Finish-NICE_W0QQitemZ260285978421QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That one looks close to pristine.....I'd buy it. For how much though? Depends on how badly someone else wants it.....

So true marcus. I have my limits. Looks like chesirecatsmile won the bid for $510 USD. Congrats on your Goldstar. I didn't want to get into a bidding war & jack up the price. Nice purchase. Let us know how you made out. If you have buyer's remorse just send me an email. Thanks stratman & marcus for chiming in with your wisdom.

Hi noob!
Sorry for spoiling your auction bid... It's not too often these come up on ebay in Canada, and at that price (+no import tax and cheap shipping) I felt compelled to put a bid in. Songbird (rip) in Toronto used to sell Goldstars for around $600 (plus tax), often with issues and not always with a handsome case. I haven't noticed any Tokais for sale recently at Capsule Music or any of the other used guitar places here in Toronto, and I expect when I do prices will be higher. Craigslist seems like the best place to find Tokais in Toronto at least, although you have to watch out for Korean models (and fake Tokai models!). Are there many Tokais available locally in Montreal?

This one looks pretty nice (not as flash as stratman's gold one though :D ) This purchase might mean I put one of my other Tokai strats up for sale--it feels like thinking about selling one of my children though. I have a serious surplus of guitars in my studio--I'm going to have to make some room soon (...maybe I can sell one of my children and use her room to put guitars in!). I'll post an update with photos when it arrives.
________
Xr50

No problem. Glad it went to a fellow poster. Didn't want to get into a bidding war with you & jack up the price. I put my limit at $500 USD. I was tempted to go higher. Tokais are pretty scarce around here. I see more of them in Toronto. Do I need another guitar? NO!!!. But always seem to have a need to get one more. (Help me....Please make it stop.) Does the wife need to know? NO!! Do my growing boys need school books & winter boots & clothes & basic needs like food & shelter & iphones? YES!!....NO!! to iphones. This one was a good Goldstar. Enjoy cheshirecatsmile (insert fat cheshire cat smiling gleefully here).

Back