Mystery Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidewinder

Reaction score
Man, I could really use some help here.
This is a test for you guys that are familiar with older Japanese guitars.
I've had this for a few years, and it's a great guitar, but I have no clue as to what it could be. I bought it originally for about 750., based only on the way it plays, sounds, and the quality of the build. At that time I was told it's probably from the early 70's. It's an L5/Howard Roberts copy from what I can see, and I'm sure it must be made in Japan because of the detail and quality but there are absolutely no identifying marks on it or in it whatsoever, other than the ser. #
I've had others tell me it's probably this or that, but I'm coming to understand that some of the guys in this forum really know what they're talking about.
As I said, the action is great, very smooth, and it sounds beautiful.
the body has some beatiful figuring in it, but it didn't come through in the pictures. The binding was white but has yellowed over the years, and the fingerboard is brazilian rosewood. The saddle appears to be ebony or very dark teak. It had a pickguard but I have no idea where that would be now.
Here are some shots. I would really appreciate any help on this so I can stop calling it the mystery guitar.
RedGuitarfront.jpg

RedGuitarfront2.jpg

RedGuitarback.jpg

The Headstock, no name at all.
RedGuitarNeckfront.jpg

The back of the neck looks like 3 peice mahogany with a volute.
RedGuitarNeckback.jpg

Ser.# is under the finish
RedGuitarbackSer.jpg

Kind of hard to tell in the picture but it's a brazilian board
RedGuitarNeckfingerboard.jpg

The neck to body joint is clean. Again, it's hard to tell from the shot but the binding has aged to a yellow cream color
RedGuitarbackjoin.jpg

Thanks ochay. A builder that looked at it about a week ago said the same thing. He figured late 60's to possibly 71 or 72, but I don't really know anything about Greco guitars, or their early numbering system.

the neck looks to be a typical late 70s to early 80s style Greco, 3 piece maple, and particularlly with the volute

the serial # looks like a September 1980

the head stock shape is throwing me a curve ball

looks like a FujiGen for sure

Latest posts

Back