My New Tokia Love Rock - But what type??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooner

Reaction score
Hi there - recently got my hands on this beauty :D - love it to bits but not sure what exact model etc it is. (May be being realy daft here though - always a chance!!)

Anyway - how do I find out which model it is and when it was made?

What I do know is it is the top of the range Korean model Love Rock but thats about all (that may well be it all!). I would love to know when it was made etc.

By the way - just found the forum so hello all. And I LOVE this guitar!!!

Thanks

Tokai%20-%20Love%20Rock%20-%20Amber%20Flame%20-%20Big.jpg

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=5&products_id=41

If it's Korean, then I would say it's an LS50Q - see link for more details.

I don't know where you are, but the specs in the link are for UK models. Other regions might have different specs - for example Canadian MIKs are meant to be much higher specced...

As for age, couldn't tell you without the serial number.

regards,

John.

Thanks

I don't know where the serial number actualy is. Its certainly not on the headstock where I thought it would be. I believe it is the American speced version but again not 100%. I know it sounds fantastic though.

Do you know where the serial number would be?

Thanks again

http://www.wizardguitars.co.uk/SolidBodyElectric.php?product=779&action=moreinfo&offset=20

It's this guitar isn't it?

Did you really pay ?425 for it?

Anyway, the guy at Wizard will have bought that guitar off Tokai UK and judging by the colour and the white pick guards it probably came off the last batch of korean units that arrived in, 6 months or more back. This guitar i'd suggest is indeed the LS50Q. We've got a couple of the same guitars in cherry sunburst from this similar time as well.

It won't have a visible serial number on it by the way.

Hope that clears it up for you and that you enjoy the guitar.

Cheers

That is the guitar I bought indeed.

Worried now that i payed ?425 for it though as Johns link shows it to be far less money. To be fair the chap at Wizzard seemed very knowledgable and I know with the epiphones he stocks he brings up to US spec rather than UK so it may well be that this is Canadian spec.

I actualy traded my Epi Les Paul in for this. Was never happy with it and took it into Wizzard for a set up. Turned out it had some serious issues which would cost the better part of ?200 to sort out and the manager said that for a guitar of that value it was just probably not worth doing it to.

He mentioned how Tokai's were far superior instruments and so I went for this one - couldn't resist the premium look of it!

Anyway great guitar as I've said - sounds like a monster compared to my old Epi!

If that is a second-hand LS50Q, I would be getting on to Wizard Guitars for a chat! You can get these new for a lot less than this.

Just be reasonable with them, tell them you took their advice on the quality of the guitar and trusted them that the price was a fair one.

Hopefully they will be fair and offer you a partial re-fund or some other compenstation.

The main thing is that you are happy with the Tokai, we've all paid a bit over the odds for something in our time, I know I have :D

Out of interest what were the 'issues' with the Epiphone?

I know he buys his guitars from Bob from Tokai UK which are all standard issue for the UK market. If it's specced any differently then he won't have got it off bob.....which is unlikely.

It was new when I bought it. I do wan't to stress that I think its a great guitar and sounds fantastic. How are his other prices for comparison? I wasn't expecting internet prices to be honest as one of the reasons I chose Wizard was there personal service and set ups etc. Plus I live near them which is always a bonus. If I have paid ?50 over the ods then I'm not going to get too upset about it in reality as I like to support local stores anyhow.

From what I know about guitars in my admitedly limited experience I find it hard to believe you could get one this good for less than ?400. If you can, then everyone should be buying these bad boys and Epi would be going down the pan - and plenty of other makes too!

Thanks for the input by the way folks - its appreciated!

If it was new then that price is not bad. I agree with you about supporting local shops, good on you!! Also, being able to try before you buy is the only way you know you are getting a good guitar.

Enjoy it :D

mooner said:
If I have paid ?50 over the ods then I'm not going to get too upset about it in reality as I like to support local stores anyhow.

!

You paid around ?125 to much

?299 for a LS50Q from Richtone :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-LS50Q-Electric-Guitar-Quilted-Top-Cherry-Burst_W0QQitemZ280111824128QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItem

I have also seen the same guitar / spec and colour for ?299 - ?310 in plenty of other UK stores.

Two rules :

1st : ALWAYS haggle in your local store, they do have room to drop . Unless like many dealers now they ticket a fair price. IMHO ?425 is way over the top.

2nd : With guys like Richtone , Hartnoll guitars ( both sellers post here ), buying online is not an issue. In fact its a pleasure.

The real "oucher" is that we are actually in the same city as this dude so could have sorted him easily.

Oh, and it's worth bearing in mind that availablility of colours is somewhat limited so in fairness you might be happy to pay a bit of a premium if you REALLY wanted one in HDC.

Shame he didn't see any of our ads.

Who IS our marketing guy????!!!.....oh right, that's me... :oops:

guitarslinger said:
Who IS our marketing guy????!!!.....oh right, that's me... :oops:

I have the same problem. LOL !

These days I am more playing and building then selling so I can afford to relax.

Your ES130 pricing is pretty keen. I was thinking about adding one of those to my Tokai collection. Even pulling some strings through the trade , you could prob offer me a better deal :eek:

guitarslinger said:
http://www.wizardguitars.co.uk/SolidBodyElectric.php?product=779&action=moreinfo&offset=20

It's this guitar isn't it?

Did you really pay ?425 for it?

Anyway, the guy at Wizard will have bought that guitar off Tokai UK and judging by the colour and the white pick guards it probably came off the last batch of korean units that arrived in, 6 months or more back. This guitar i'd suggest is indeed the LS50Q.

Just came across my old posts and realised I never did ask when you refernced white pick guards yet this guitar has no pick guard???

Cheers

Still loving it by the way - in fact fy fender US Tele is suffering a little as a result. Oh and I am seriosuly eyeballing thise great looking ES130's on your site - very very tempting!!!

I think i meant the scratch plates on the back that cover the controls.

Sorry if i wsan't clear.

Hope you are enjoying the instrument.

As you say, you 'love it to bits.' I have over 20 in my collection and don't feel that way about any of them. I'd be willing to pay twice the asking price for an axe I truly loved.

Play it in good health. She's a beauty, indeed.

Latest posts

Back