Man of few words, many guitars...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which ones are L02171 & L04129? any chance of a pics of the decals on those?
These are (L to R) L10194, L04129 and L02171. I could not find the serial number on the JB. BTW, I am not a seller. I’m just a guy who’s been playing for over 60 years and know what like.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 0
Would be interesting to know the production code in serial number L10194.

That one was made in the transition from Spaghetti logo to Block & Script logos.

Would be very significant if a spag logo was made in 1983. I suspect late 1982.

L10194 has a maple neck so I think somethings been swapped in the past on that one.

I apologize for roping you in right away, you probably just wanted to share your awesome collection and I wanted to thank you again for this! I hope you understand that there are many unanswered questions about Tokais in general, and trying to find the answers is what we are doing for fun around here - and to us you have the equivalent of a ball pit there. :D

It's a gold mine indeed, and - for a change - not the kind of gold the other guys have (LPs and Springys) but a substantial number of Breezys to learn from, quite a rarity!

Like MarcoXMarco on the other page chimed in on his quest about neck shapes and measurements - I went ahead and measured my TE70 neck to substantiate the usually subjective statements about thickness and shape, it's around 0.8"/21mm at the first fret, could be considered a 'D' shape and this is roughly what it should be for an early 60s Tele (maybe not for a '64 but that doesn't matter now).

Of course that sparked the question whether or not Tokai's early 50s models replicate the period-correct chunky neck style. MarcoXMarco is right, you can't google these things, there is no resource stating neck measurements, at best there are forum posts throwing around subjective impressions and letters for shapes, with no reference to derive an idea from. So seeing a bunch of data sources like you own is like..

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 16.33.33.jpg

:)

I apologize for roping you in right away, you probably just wanted to share your awesome collection and I wanted to thank you again for this! I hope you understand that there are many unanswered questions about Tokais in general, and trying to find the answers is what we are doing for fun around here - and to us you have the equivalent of a ball pit there. :D

It's a gold mine indeed, and - for a change - not the kind of gold the other guys have (LPs and Springys) but a substantial number of Breezys to learn from, quite a rarity!

Like MarcoXMarco on the other page chimed in on his quest about neck shapes and measurements - I went ahead and measured my TE70 neck to substantiate the usually subjective statements about thickness and shape, it's around 0.8"/21mm at the first fret, could be considered a 'D' shape and this is roughly what it should be for an early 60s Tele (maybe not for a '64 but that doesn't matter now).

Of course that sparked the question whether or not Tokai's early 50s models replicate the period-correct chunky neck style. MarcoXMarco is right, you can't google these things, there is no resource stating neck measurements, at best there are forum posts throwing around subjective impressions and letters for shapes, with no reference to derive an idea from. So seeing a bunch of data sources like you own is like..

View attachment 41760

:)
Oh man.... I see a good topic for a thread....

These questions about necks come up often and you are right,there is no reliable place to find them.

I wonder who could come up with a standard for what measurements to get, etc. and gather them over time? :cool:

The usual metrics are

0. Nut width
1. Neck width at the 12th fret
2. Shape (hard to assess objectively)
3. Thickness at the 1st fret
4. Thickness at the 12th fret
(5. Fretboard radius)

For F-style copy/replica necks the neck (nut) width and thickness are probably the minimum amount of information to be useful, because the other metrics can be derived from that to a pretty high degree (Fender necks pretty much always end up at 56-ish millimeters so the width at the 12th fret is kind of implied when the nut width doesn't deviate much from the usual 42.x mm /1 11/16th"), necks always get fatter towards the end etc.. Fretboard radius is often implied by the type of replica.

The problem is that you need calipers to measure these things (and radius gauges for the radius). Not exactly stuff everyone has in their guitar toolbox.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back