Major help needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphial

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to the forum, so here I am saying hi!

Anyways, the reason I'm here is cause I've been playing my guitar tutor's lawsuit Tokai Goldstar and I cannot for the life of me remember when I played such an incredible neck. I'm thinking of getting a custom made guitar but need to know the specs. Does anyone know where I can get those? Or does anyone have any kind of info on them? It looks like a 57 copy with a medium V neck.

Thanks

Hi Seraphial,

Not much to go on.
Can you get pics as getting the model correct is half the battle.

Goldstars were made with 2 styles of maple neck - a '54 style 'V' and a 1958 style 'U'. There are ways to tell the neck shape as long as the headstock is unaltered.
Is there a black oval sticker on the back of the neck?
Is there a string tree or round button on the headstock for the 1st & 2nd strings?
What is the space at the 12 fret markers?
What letter is stamped under the pickups?

You may be better searching eBay and buying an old Goldstar if you love that neck type as my experience with other manufacturers is that they all have slight differences to them. ( ESP, Schecter,Warmoth,etc)

regards
Peter Mac

P.S. Wallabys to win the World Cup.

Hey dude, thanks for the reply. I see the teacher tonight, so I'll get back to you on those details...

As for the Wallabies, I'm picking an Aussie/NZ final...

Which means we'll win cause you guys will probably sleep in :lol:

Hey guys,

Had a look at my teachers Goldstar - Its got a black oval sticker on the back the I think says "60". He bought it in 1981 so its still lawsuit. It has two black dots on the 12th fret spacing. Its also just got the one string tree. Sorry couldn't check the pickups. Does anyone need anymore info? No pics, but it looks a lot like Geoff Cotton's Goldstar on the Tokai Registry, but its in Candy Apple Red.

Sounds like a TST60 then - should be maple V neck with a round rather than butterfly string retainer. It was supposed to be a 54 replica. I have the exact same guitar. That neck is great, although I do prefer rosewood boards. One thing though - 81 sounds too early for a Goldstar. Didn't the switch from Springysound to Goldstar happen around 83 Peter?

Woahh .. James.

Right on the money - 100%.
The Goldstar is post-83 and a TST-60 should have the round string retainer - not the tree, although most people do change them.
MR(Metallic Red) is a standard colour, serial number should be 4 digit.
Chances are, I was working for Tokai when that guitar was imported into Australia and sent onto New Zealand....[ 60's style flashback ]

let us know any other features you find

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back