MAHOGANY

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last link to a discussion of rays. 8)

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/338927-curved-medullary-rays/

aeDnUXP.jpg

My bias has been that African mahogany is not as dense, or as good a tone wood. That it is lighter colored and more open grain. I may be wrong....
Yes you may.
8) :p 8)

There is, in general, a difference when the guitar is fresh out of the box. The African mahogany needs time and playing, and will start to better dramatically. When the Hondurian mahogany has already a sweet tone out of the box, and it improves a little bit over time. So the two are landing around the same place at the end, but the way to it is different.

For what I can tell, its that the wood selection process for Premium guitars at Tokai is extremely serious.

Thanks. I’m working through untangling my assumptions.

Khaya is often very ribbon like in its figure. Like long flame. Something I think about in looking at my LS100S that I assumed was Honduran... Assumptions...

yCIesiG.jpg

I also wanted to say something re weight and tone.

I’ve read lots of guys in guitar forums relating weight to tone and saying the heavier/denser wood doesn’t sound as good.

My LS100S is about the best sounding Les Paul I’ve ever played, but weighs close to 10 lbs.

If I was playing on stage that would get old, but I’m not. And based purely on tone you would have a hard time beating that guitar in my opinion.

So to say that heavy equals poor tone is absolutely false in my opinion.

Just had to put that out there after owning my “hog”. 8)

Back