LS98F sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitmac

Reaction score
I have a Tokai LS98F that I've upgrade the pickups to Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays with Bareknuckle pots,50's wiring and Sprague Orange Drop caps. I think it's great,but have recently had comments at gigs that "it doesn't sound like a Les Paul" It lacks the depth of a real LP according to some. I've also had Lollar Imperials in it which were fine,but I scored the BK's used,and wanted to try them. Could it be that the BK's are a little too low wound to give the depth that these people are not hearing? Are Tokais' generally lighter sounding than LP's? I thought there would be very little difference given the woods and construction on a Tokai. As far as I'm concerned,the Tokai plays as good as most G*****s. I was playing through tube amps when the comments were made,using a Keeley modded BD-2. Opinions?

kitmac said:
I think it's great,but have recently had comments at gigs that "it doesn't sound like a Les Paul" It lacks the depth of a real LP according to some.

Total BS!

The guys making the comments don't know what a Les Paul sounds like.
They judge the sound of a Les Paul with their eyes instead of their ears.

I watch dozens of guitarists gigging Tokais with the stock MK11 pickups and they all sound great.
Actually, the pro guitarists I deal with think a Tokai sounds more like a Les Paul than a G Les Paul Standard does, because, the Tokai has a proper/correct neck joint and a solid mahogany body, unlike the LP Standard.

What amp/fx are you using at gigs? How often are you hearing these comments, and who from? What exactly did they say?

Can you supply us with a sound clip of your rig?

Sounds to me like somebody had a few pints in them, saw that it didn't say 'gibson' on the headstock and decided to act like a dick. The Stormy Monday is an excellent pickup in a Les Paul, and most vintage-voiced humbuckers are pretty low output as standard.

Paladin2019 said:
What amp/fx are you using at gigs? How often are you hearing these comments, and who from? What exactly did they say?

Can you supply us with a sound clip of your rig?

Sounds to me like somebody had a few pints in them, saw that it didn't say 'gibson' on the headstock and decided to act like a dick. The Stormy Monday is an excellent pickup in a Les Paul, and most vintage-voiced humbuckers are pretty low output as standard.

Hi,the first time was with a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb 2x10 combo in Blonde with a Keeley Blues Driver,next time was with a Matchless DC30 and the same o/d. I also used my Gibson R8 with BK Mississippi Queen pups,which is what may have triggered the comment on the 2nd gig. Huge price difference in the two guitars,but I still think the Tokai is very good,and the Stormys have a lower output which is possibly too thin for the taste of the commentators. I'm trying a Dr Vintage bridge pup that I just got in the bridge tonight. Trouble is,when I play the guitar in a jam or at home,I think it sounds fine,but then Im not hearing what the audience hears! I had Lollar Imperials in it which are obviously not shabby,but I felt the Stormys were slightly more characterful.I suppose what I'm asking is would something more midrangy be better? Mules perhaps?

The mule does have a bit more output and a more even frequency response. I've got them in my love rock and they are pretty much definitive les paul tone.

Maybe you need to do a bit more tweaking of the amp settings when swapping guitars if they sound that different from each other, but I do still worry that there's a bit of snobbery going on there. Some clips would be good if at all possible. 8)

Here's a clip we did, Tokai with stock MK11 pickups into my Kemper Profling Amp.

Sounds pretty thick to me.

https://soundcloud.com/temper59/tokai-lp-played-into-the

funkilius said:
sounds like a les paul should :lol:

My buddy/guitar tech, Grant, he was testing out a Tokai and Kemper Profiler, didn't know that I had pressed 'record'. :D

Best way to record someone, don't tell them you're recording. :D

kitmac said:
I also used my Gibson R8 with BK Mississippi Queen pups,which is what may have triggered the comment on the 2nd gig.

So your mates with golden ears could hear the difference between a Tokai and a Gibson but not the difference between humbucker and p90 pickups?

I mean I have both a Gibson and a couple of Tokais (Fender copies) and I like them both. But I'm always wary of non-blind test claims of guitar players. Normally (not always) they're full of it. E.g. TGP forum. :lol:

Latest posts

Back