Love Rock Headstock Veneer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1981 LS200 off Reverb.

Nicks on side of headstock. I am see just black inside the nicks. Looks like plastic material to my eyes.

https://reverb.com/item/10781483-tokai-love-rock-ls-200-1981-custom-order

hztZPpt.png

Znp577K.png

So it is clear that it is not true that LS200s don't have plastic veneer headstocks. Examples I have seen from 1981 and before all seem to.

Now I would love to see a headstock on an LS200 from 1982-1984 and see if it is wood, which is the theory I am working off of at this point.

On the headstocks that don't have a plastic veneer, which seemed to change sometime during 1981/82(?), there is likely a thin wood veneer that is painted black rather than just painting the wood of the neck.

The reason for a veneer is to cover the joints in the headstock since they are constructed with two thin "wings" on the sides where the headstock curves. Without a veneer, over time the wood would likely show a joint. Guessing Gibson figured this out some time ago.

So: 1979/plastic veneer/1981/1982/wood veneer/1985

Looks like the process on the wood veneer involves at least touching up the edges of the veneer with black paint/stain after it is glued on because when you look closely at these wood veneer headstocks you can see black paint over-painted onto the stained mahogany in places.

So the paint, at least on the edges, came after the satin on the neck it seems.

I am betting when the veneer was glued on it already was black and the Tokai logo already in place or at least the holes cut out. Would be very time consuming to paint around the logo. Unless it were a stain that the logo did not absorb.

Also note that the joint of the wing in the photos below.

F1EevSI.jpg

cLWpFR4.jpg

all the LS inkies I have owned have a thin, wood veneer on the head stock face.

these are visible from either side of the head stock, or from the open book end of the head stock.

the veneer is covered by the cherry red color that covers the side & the end of the head stock but the color looks a few shades lighter on the veneer, as compared to the mahogany head stock itself, where that same cherry red color looks a few shades darker.

Thanks for that info. Do you have the dates for the ones with the wood veneer?

And if you could post any pictures here that would help sort this mystery out.

Many thanks!

Cool. Would love to see pictures showing the veneer if you can post some.

I don't know much about the inkies. I have never owned or held one, but I have read that they were made in a different factory than the Tokais that have impressed serial numbers, and that the construction may vary some from the other Tokais. Is that accurate?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20740

here is another TF thread concerning 'inkies'

Note where TF member 'Peter Mac' chimes in concerning serial #s.

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23046&highlight=ls60&sid=702d0f42ecbad4c1d253d132b38dfd13

There is no mention (by Peter Mac) of a 000**** serial range example.

I have one LS inkie with a 000**** serial #, as mentioned in the thread from January this year.

So here is a photo of a 1980 LS50 "inkie" (serial number inked instead of embossed in the back of the headstock) with an obvious wood veneer.

I would have to say here that the rule that was emerging re: plastic type veneer up to some time in 1981/82(?) and then either a very thin and well hidden wood veneer or painted wood may not apply at all to "inkies".

While I am no expert on inkies, it seems clear that their production was different than the typical runs of Love Rocks. So production standards were apparently different. For example, I have seen pictures showing dowels joining the neck tenon to the body which I have not seen in a non inkie Love Rock, but have seen in other MIJ LP brands.

From my reading here on this forum, I believe inkies were actually made in different towns (Nagano for inkies, and Hammamatsu for the typical "run of the mill" Love Rocks).

Not sure of the arrangement with Tokai for producing these, but I have heard it was similar to contracting with a factory that produced guitars for different brands, a practice common at this time in Japan I believe.

That said, here is a picture of an inkie showing the wood veneer construction of the headstock. I have not seen this on non inkie Love Rocks of the period and if anyone else comes across photos please post them.

ACWonQ2.jpg

7FvCSCg.jpg

Last edited:
違いの理由は製造年や型番ではありません。
製造工場が違うからです。
シリアルナンバーの上から2番目が0の場合は東海工場となります。そしてプラスチック製
連続ナンバーの上から2番目が1の場合は長野工場となります。

違いの理由は製造年や型番ではありません。
製造工場が違うからです。
シリアルナンバーの上から2番目が0の場合は東海工場となります。そしてプラスチック製
連続ナンバーの上から2番目が1の場合は長野工場となります。
IMG_0468.jpeg

All of the guitars discussed before post #31 were made in Hamamatsu.

guitar hiro was adding that the inkies from Nagano that he has owned had a wood veneer face. I have seen inkies from Nagano with plastic faces as well and gave an example above in post #37.

Please look at the model numbers below. None of these were made in Nagano.

IMG_0470.jpeg

Plastic veneer:
LS80GT (1979)
LS80GT (1980) eBay in Japan
LS80 (1980) Fretboard.co.uk
LS80 (1980) Reverb
LS200 (1980) Cliff's as seen on Flickr
LS200 (1980) yamauchi web site
LS200 (1980) yamauchi site
LS200 (1980) mycoolguitars site
LS100ON (1981)
LS200 (1981) Reverb