Identification Help Please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonjarz

Reaction score
Hi
I just purchased a Fernandes Strat in Vancouver BC and would love to know more about it.
I’ve enclosed some photos. The serial number is L068190.
The guitar appears original apart from an aftermarket bridge. It is in lovely shape and sounds great.
My best guess is mid-eighties but I’m very new to Fernandes.
Thank youIMG_2472.jpegIMG_2473.jpegIMG_2474.jpegIMG_2475.jpeg

No. Fernandes contracted with lots of people.

If you have pictures under the pickguard and neck pocket it may help.

No. Fernandes contracted with lots of people.

If you have pictures under the pickguard and neck pocket it may help.
Thanks. I’ve learned that it is likely an
October/Novemer 1986, SSH-40 model. "No line" (i.e. missing "The Function"/"Limited Edition") and "made in Japan" - sticker as it was for export.

Interesting. I'm curious how you got the October/November 1986 date?

Interesting. I'm curious how you got the October/November 1986 date?
Hi. I was on a Facebook page called Fernandes - Burny Guitars and a fellow called Jon (who seems to be regarded as quite knowledgeable) provided it.
I realize that it is tough to get completely reliable information regarding these guitars. Given that my serial number began with 0 I was expecting a date of 1990.
Using the information provided (especially the model) I was able to find a couple of guitars online which appeared to be identical to mine apart from colour and which were dated in the mid-late eighties.
Thanks
Ed

Laminated finger board suggests Tokai manufacture to me ,Other MIJ strats were usually slab boards. The P Up routings should be the proof one way or another.

Hi. I was on a Facebook page called Fernandes - Burny Guitars and a fellow called Jon (who seems to be regarded as quite knowledgeable) provided it.
I realize that it is tough to get completely reliable information regarding these guitars. Given that my serial number began with 0 I was expecting a date of 1990.
Using the information provided (especially the model) I was able to find a couple of guitars online which appeared to be identical to mine apart from colour and which were dated in the mid-late eighties.
Thanks
Ed
He may be right. I don't know. That is why I am curious to know how he came to that conclusion?

Seems awfully precise. He may have been logging other Fernandes serial numbers and correlated them with known dates? Or he may have seen pictures of your guitar that we have not seen like your pots, pickup routs, production stamps, etc.

With Tokai, they stopped using that Fender style serial numbering system in early 1986. Some Fernandes stuff is very similar to Tokai, but the release dates are different, so I am tying not to draw conclusions based on Tokai's timing.

Latest posts

Back