I need help to ID my 1977 Greco!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzztone63

Reaction score
Hi , everybody

Please, can someone help me to find if my guitar is a Greco EG-900 or a Greco EG-700 ?

I just bought a Greco.
The seller told me that it's a 1977 EG-900 , but when I looked at the pictures from the Greco's that I found in the web from the same period ,
I couldn't tell if my Greco is a EG-900 or EG-700 because they look pretty the same over Pictures.

Here are some photos from my 1977 Greco and I hope that some experts here could help me answer the question.
I have to tell you that the seller replaced the pickups with a Gibson 57 and a SD SH-1 and the original Greco pots with Gibson, but he gave me all the original in a box.
I also puted some black Gibson knobs because the original Greco didn't fit on the Gibson pots.
I asked him if the sound with the Gibson and Seymour Duncam pups is better than the Greco pups & pots and he said me not at all.
I must confess that I already have a vintage Gibson LP Standard and when I heard the Greco I couldn't bealive in my ears.
Very fat , rich & warm "wooden" sound with tons of sustain.
I felt in love with that sound.
I'm going to put the original pups & pots back later and these are shown in separetely in the photos too.
I can't tell if the guitar is painted with nitro or not,
It is heavy like the real thing and I think ( not sure ) that the botom of the body is 2 pcs solid mahogany ( It's not easy to tell if it's 2 or 1 because of the very dark paint , but it looks like).
The top is 2 pcs solid maple and it has Dowel Tenon.
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it sounds like a dream.
So here are the photos and I'm waiting for your help.
Thanks

HPIM2784.jpg

HPIM2787zoom.jpg

HPIM2789.jpg

HPIM2800.jpg

HPIM2799.jpg

HPIM2809.jpg

HPIM2786.jpg

HPIM2793.jpg

HPIM2829.jpg

HPIM2806.jpg

HPIM2805.jpg

Hi, I wish I could help , but I just wanted to say WOW!! nice top on that guitar, thats my kind of rig... good luck!

hi
i got a 77 greco eg 700 ...i think ...serial e775326 ... .... :D :D :D mine does not have the grover tuners .... the say greco on the back but looks the same like yours
so i think yours could be a 900 ..... :D :D
mine got fret bindings .... and pick up numbers is 27330 .....
the back plate and pickups rings are white .......'
i am sure it is 100 original
all the best
otto

Back