Help me identify this Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard89

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like some help with identifying a Goldstar Sound Strat. It's my dads guitar which he bought in the 80s, I don't know so much about Tokai guitars and it would be nice if anyone could tell me more about this guitar and help my figure out exactly what model and year it is. The serial number is L24424.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

Untitled-3-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Richard89 said:
marcusnieman said:
Wow....nice one. Can you make out what number is on the sticker at the base of the neck (50, 60, etc)?

Its 50. What does that indicate?

That would be an ST50 Goldstar. The numbers indicate two things - the value in yen at that time (50=50,000, 60=60,000 and forth). The higher the number is also indicative of a higher end model with different pickups, body wood and how many pieces, etc.

An ST50 is on the lower end of the spectrum but certainly not anything to sneeze at. It's a nice catch and in very good shape. Go to the ID and Dating section of the forum home page and it'll give you more info.

Marcus is quite right, an ST50. Most Goldstars I have seen seem to be ST50s. Very nice guitars, slowly increasing in value as people appreciate them better. There were quite a few made, so it's unlikely to ever be worth a fortune, but a true vintage guitar now it's approaching 25 years old. So look after it, and try to keep it original if possible. 8)

The L serial number (the plate is on upside down, by the way) indicates that it is a copy of a Strat from around 1964, the serial number doesn't help to date it.

I'm guessing it's an 84 or 85 - does that sound right? Also, where are you?

Mike

Thanks for the info!:D

Yeah it's a very nice guitar, very high quality, sounds and plays great. It could possibly be from '84 or '85. My dad bought it new here in Sweden in 1986 I think.

Here are some more pics. Maybe they can make it easier to identify this guitar.

DSC00012.jpg

The pickups are stamped "VII", what does that indicate?
DSC00005.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

What does "YRO" mean?
DSC00013.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

Well, the guitar is pretty much confimed as an 80's Goldstar ST50 complete with their VII pickups. If I'm not mistaken, the YRO is the finish code for it.

I agree again. Everything looks original, including the neat Tokai switch, & that clever little brass plate for mounting the controls - an improvement over Fender practice of just using a bit of foil.

Never heard of YRO. YSO was Old Yelllow Sunburst, GS was Golden Sunburst. So that's a minor mystery, but I doubt if it's too significant. The stamp type is typical of Tokai.

Nice. 8)

+1 Mike.

The 2-part bodies on the Goldstars will always remain a mistery for me.

Well, it's easter tonite....

Cheers! Rup

Back