Help me ID? 2005 Love Rock Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atxverde

Reaction score
I bought what was labeled as a Custom Shop Love Rock in 2006 from an online shop in Canada. It originally had all gold hardware, including pickup covers.

Serial is 050724, which seems weird because it’s only 6 digits. I’m also not seeing in catalogs. It sounds great and plays well, so I had never doubted its authenticity. Wondering if anyone here can help me determine what model this is or if perhaps the retailer sold me a fake?

If I remember correctly, the shop in Canada (I can’t remember the name) was recommended on several guitar forums for Tokais. Really hope this is legit. Love the guitar but am looking to sell and want to be sure I can tell any buyer what it is.

IMG_0559.jpeg

Sorry to say that it looks like a Fakai. Being from Canada makes it more likely. Better pictures showing the back and front of the headstock may confirm it. I can see the closed “a” in the logo which indicates Korean manufacture.

Sorry to say that it looks like a Fakai. Being from Canada makes it more likely. Better pictures showing the back and front of the headstock may confirm it. I can see the closed “a” in the logo which indicates Korean manufacture.
Oh, well. At least it plays well and sounds great. Thanks. Here are some more pics of it helps the forum at all :)

I modified the bridge and pickups, but the rest is original.

IMG_0561.jpegIMG_0564.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0562.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 0
Oh that’s a different batch. Also questionable.

05 Six Digit Serial Number Suspicious, Fake? Unauthorized (?)

On the plus side, many people like these and say they play well and like the specs. So it's not all bad.
Thanks. If any more proof was needed, I opened my guitar case and found the card for the store I bought it from… JSD Guitar Shack. I see that the store is known by the forum for selling unauthorized Tokais/knockoffs.

Out of curiosity, I used the Wayback Machine to look up the old JSD website and found the exact listing (below). Looking back, there are tells, like that it was produced for the “Canadian Market.” Funny enough, I believe I also found the exact post on this forum in 2006 that convinced me that I should order from JSD. And given that they seemed reputable, I thought the info on their site was too. Too bad the issue didn’t seem to be widely known back then, or at least enough for me to stumble on it as I was researching where to buy.

IMG_0604.jpegIMG_0605.jpeg

Amazing that you found that.

In fairness, I believe all of that blew up around 2005/2006 with the distributor in Canada. I’m sure that wasn’t common knowledge outside of Tokai when you got your guitar.

I think it was a few years later (2009) when a couple of guys on here (leadguitar_323/Mick and Ozeshin). exposed the whole situation. Kudos to them.

If you read through the Fakai thread I linked posts that relate to that saga.

Last edited:
I just saw this from Ned in 2005. I can see how this would be frustrating for you looking backwards.

All-

There are conflicting reports on the Canadian distributor information. I am double checking with Mr Adachi on this information. Until it is confirmed let's hold off on passing judgement.

The guitars JSD has are official Tokai's, he has been dilligent in ensure his stock are authentic.

Ned

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back