Help a newbie identify a Love Rock: MIJ or MIK

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubblewrap

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm asking you to help me identify the guitar in the pictures below. The seller says he bought it new back in '94, and that it was sold to him as MIJ. The guitar is stock except for the Schaller tuners. It's got the dimple headstock, but no stamp or serial number to be found. I'm just a bit confused by the white cavity covers and the 2-screw truss rod cover.
What do you think?

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/BubblewrapFIN/Tokai/?action=view&current=Body.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/BubblewrapFIN/Tokai/?action=view&current=Bodyback.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/BubblewrapFIN/Tokai/?action=view&current=Headstock.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/BubblewrapFIN/Tokai/?action=view&current=Headstockback.jpg

Hello and welcome, That one is a MIK love rock. The white covers on the control cavities are a giveaway, it also looks like someone has put a different truss rod cover on it. Another giveaway is the tone and volume knobs are slightly out of line to the MIJ ones. Also it has the Korean bridge which has the inserts in the body, the Japanese ones have the posts going directly into the body, it also has had the tuners changed to Grover style.

Mick

That was fast! :)
Thanks for the info, I'll probably pass on the guitar then, as I'm looking for a MIJ Love Rock.

Just updating the thread I started..

I finally found the guitar I was looking for! :D
I was on a tight budget, so I put up a wanted-ad for the older, dinged and even beat up ones. A couple of guys replied pretty fast, but the one that stood out was a 2005 LS-70(75?) in black (or is it ebony?), the color I was looking for. The seller provided me with decent pictures and detailed information on the mods, chips and dings. He threw in a nice hard-shell case and an extra set of pickups. The guitar hade been repaired by a luthier back in ?05 due to a headstock headstock break and the original pickups had been swapped for a pair of active humbuckers. I didn?t have the chance to see and examine the guitar before buying, but a little risk taking never hurt anyone, right?

The guitar arrived a week ago, and what can I say.. The circle is complete 8)
The description of the guitar was accurate, and in fact it wasn?t as beat up as I thought it would be. Sure, it?s something of an entry level instrument in the world of MIJ guitars. Sure, the headstock has been repaired. Ok, the pickups aren?t stock and it has some chips, dings and buckle rash. But you know what? N-O-N-E of it mattered, because the guitar felt so overwhelmingly right from the first moment. The best phrase I can think of to describe it is ?like coming home?. For me, as for probably the majority, the most important thing in a guitar is the playability. The pickups can always be changed for something that suites your personal style. Having zero experience with active pickups, I was however surprised and pleased with the active Tesla pickups. I play a lot of clean, mellow stuff and late night blues at bedroom levels through my pickle jar sized Vox, and the pickups seem to handle this stuff rather well. In spite of this, I can definitely see myself swapping the pickups for something a little more traditional in the future. Until then, they?ll do just fine.

After going through a couple of Gibson LP Studios, three Gibson Melody Makers, some Telecasters and a couple of other guitars during the last 1,5 years, I feel as if I can finally stop looking and just concentrate on playing better. It?s a feeling I wish everyone could have the privilege of experiencing.

My biggest thanks to the people who contribute to this forum, you have inspired and helped me and continue to do so.

And since we're all crazy for pictures, here's one:

TokaiLS70.jpg

That looks awesome BB way up north! If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you?

Don't mind at all! I paid 400 ? for the guitar, about $ 600. After selling the case and the extra pickups for 80 ? ($ 120), I've spent 320 ? ($480) on the guitar itself. I consider this a fair price on a market where second hand MIJ Love Rocks go for $ 900-1100. Someone might say that the headstock repair should bring the price even lower, but I have no regrets :D

Hey as long as you're happy with the repair, great deal... :D congrats! Funny I can remember my dad's old boss saying over 3 decades ago; "What's this, made in Japan?" How things have changed :oops: . :wink:

Latest posts

Back