Hello from Peru and please help on identifying

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YuriHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am from Peru and new on the forum. I have bought a supposedly Tokai telecaster guitar, with decals changed to Fender. I have been doing some research and I am surprised that all the Tokai guitars I found, have the strings inside, and mine have a toploader. Also, the guitar has not the centered line along the back of the neck. Finaly, since the decals and the metal plate of the back has been changed to Fender, there is no Tokai brand anywhere.

I have bought the tele for practicing, and paying it very cheap (US$ 300). Could you please share some thoughts about it?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_8402.png
    IMG_8402.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8396.png
    IMG_8396.png
    358.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8397.png
    IMG_8397.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8398.png
    IMG_8398.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8395.png
    IMG_8395.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8643.png
    IMG_8643.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8644.jpeg
    IMG_8644.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8640.jpeg
    IMG_8640.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Alas this is hard to tell from the pics with certainty. On first sight that would look like a Chinese/Korean -?TE-33 model with the top loading bridge. But unfortunately, by "Fenderizing" the guitar lost all identification features and on top of that, the headstock (outline, backside shaping) looks pretty off to me, even for a Chinese Tokai, and the body shaping looks strangely off on the pics too (note the upper bout transition looks too high on the 16th fret). In other words, the pics give me doubts that this is (or was) a legit Tokai guitar. Sorry!

Alas this is hard to tell from the pics with certainty. On first sight that would look like a Chinese/Korean -?TE-33 model with the top loading bridge. But unfortunately, by "Fenderizing" the guitar lost all identification features and on top of that, the headstock (outline, backside shaping) looks pretty off to me, even for a Chinese Tokai, and the body shaping looks strangely off on the pics too (note the upper bout transition looks too high on the 16th fret). In other words, the pics give me doubts that this is (or was) a legit Tokai guitar. Sorry!

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Hello Homer J. S. Do you thing the 2 rings knobs could be an indicator of where is this guitar from? I have checked on the web and I can't find other telecaster with this 2 rings knobs.

Attachments

• IMG_8675.png
    IMG_8675.png
    638.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8676.jpeg
    IMG_8676.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That headstock looks really odd. But hey , if it plays nice and sounds good , I wouldn’t give a **** what it is . Play the heck out of this thing and call it a day .
Enjoy 😉!

jajaja good advice Omiewise, thanks ! It does feels and sounds nice. In fact, before I suspected that this wasn't a Tokai guitar, I went to a music store the compare it with a Squier Classic Vibe, that would cost me twice, and my mystery guitar was much more appealing, lighter and sounded better. I couldn't compare it with a Fender Player (MIM), because they didn't had one available.

Last edited:
Back