Got a Tokai ES-135!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty_s13

Reaction score
Music Workshop Sydney hooked me up with a Cherry Red Tokai ES-135 and it arrived today.

I must say its awesome. Initially I found the action too high so it felt a little strange to play but then I lowered it a tad and tweaked the truss rod to dial out a little relief and it was awesome. I have been playing it all night.

I really think it sounds better than my 2005 les paul that has had every mod done to it under the sun, including very new Throbak DT-102 pickups that made it sound amazing. They are similar but the Tokai is clearer sounding and has more punch and more bass reponse. The neck pickup is just sublime.

and this is just stock!

I plan on swapping most of the hardware, because they seem to have that cheap asian'ness about them with loose tolerances. I was wondering if the bridge is on regular ABR-1 posts or thicker ones that fit a nashville style bridge? I was planning on using a regular gibson bridge. I will probably go faber locking for the tailpiece.

The only other complaint besides the hardware (which isn't really a complaint) is it has rubber burn marks on the headstock where it must have been hanging in the shop. I thought it was pretty common knowledge not to do this with nitro guitars. But at least I know its definitely Nitro (at least the top coat). Its not a major deal.

I'll take some pics shortly.

There is really no need to change the hardware it is allgood quality, if you are going to upgrade the bridge a Gibbo one will not fit. The Japanese manufacturers use metric parts. These guitars are generally better than their Gibbo counterparts so really no need to change a thing.

Mick

Yeah after inspecting the bridge a bit more it does look pretty good.

One thing concerning me a little is it looks like my bridge posts may not have been drilled 100% straight. They kind of have a slight forward lean to them. Not parallel to the tailpiece studs. Is this common? The tailpiece isn't cranked down to add pressure or anything.

Its not a big deal since it still intonates fine.

leadguitar_323 said:
I'm not too sure but the posts may have been done like that to help intonation, just a guess.

Mick

If by forward lean you mean toward the neck, I'd read somewhere that this was done to counter the torque from the downward/backward pull of the strings through the lower sitting tailpiece.

Towards neck yeah. If its done on purpose then its all good. Like I said intonation is fine.

I still need to get some new strings for it! I'm sure it would be even better then.

I got an ES130 a few months ago, & I'm not sure anything needs changing on it. I thought about maybe the pickups, but I've been talked into leaving the stock Mk IIs, for a while at least. Everything else seems to suit the guitar just fine.

Mike

Latest posts

Back