Goldstar sound, Lake placid blue?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymie

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought a tokai goldstar sound in pretty bad shape bodily and was wondering how old it was. It is painted in blue metallic which i am told is lake placid blue although it looks Teal Green due to age. It also has the script logo not the sphagetti 7 style and has oldies but goldies on the machine head and is fitted with a single ply white scratch plate with the standard single coil pickups marked with a 'U', it also has a maple neck. The serial number is on the neck plate and is 5 digits long with no letters. Any idea how old this is. Another curiosity is that it has slot type truss rod adjustment and not the usual allen type, does this suggest it is an early one or just a faithful replica of a late 50s model? Raymie.

Pics would help alot ... also close-up pics from cavities, headstock, pups ... :wink:

Roger

tudor said:
Pics would help alot ... also close-up pics from cavities, headstock, pups ... :wink:

Roger

Hi, An update on my guitar restoration. I have stripped the body for painting and found the serial No which is 10=1LBV can anyone shed any light on the year also the colour which is a vibrant blue metallic (under the plate) that has turned a kind of turqouise with age. What shades of met blue were they painted? also the serial No is: 19266. Sorry havin problems with my camera so no pics yet. Can anyone help as i am trying to restore it to original.
Raymie.

Keep the old blue paint, stratman will buy the chips and scraps off you. :)

Here's a fairly complete breakdown of Fender colours:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

And some clues as to original and faded colours on this guys site:

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

The "LB" in the cavity suggests to me Lake Placid Blue but I'm certainly no expert when it comes to Tokai colours or cavity codes.

stratman323 said:
raymie said:
I have stripped the body for painting

You removed the original metallic blue paint? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes sirree the paint has beem removed as the guitar was in really bad shape, and i dont mean the relic look i mean delibirate damage that looked terrible. Anyway folks any ideas on colour or any other info Ta.

Raymie.

Hi!

I'd say this should be an '81 ST50 or 55. LB's are fairly rare, but the 'U' stamp points to ST50. Perfect sound with a Twin Reverb! The 'E' DiMarzios go much better with a Mark.

Please correct me if I am an wrong, but the serial fits to my ST50s. :eek:

If you ever want to sell her drop me a PM or email.

Cheers. Rupert

Hi, thanks for your help in trying to identify the colour as i couldnt find it in the Tokai brochures. As far as i know lake placid blue is a 1960s caddilac colour, does this mean that the guitar is a 60s rep taking into account the colour, the single ply scratchplate and cross screw truss rod adjustment just like the 50s and 60s fenders. Also does anyone have any info on a good supplier of paint for this. Pictures to follow on this ongoing resto.

P.S. Before i stripped it the guitar sounded awesome through a Mesa Boogie F50 with the reverb on, better than any fender i have owned or played! "Tone to the bone" as they say

Raymie.

Back