Gibson ES-125 Copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardcr

Reaction score
I'm a new member here, hoping for some enlightenment!!

I'm trying to find out if Tokai, or any of the other manufacturers often mentioned on this forum, make a copy of the Gibson ES-125, or something very similar to this model.

I live in Brisbane, Australia - something of a backwater where guitars are concerned, but I do have a very good Tokai dealer only 1 klm away from where I live who has access to all the models currently in stock in Aus, so the local website is a start.

However, the only model of the type I'm looking for that's available here in my price range is the FA-70-VS, which is the ES-175 copy, and which is deeper than I really want (the ES-125 is only around 2.5" deep). I can buy this here for AU$1180 + AU$200 for a Tokai hard case (it comes as standard with a gig bag).

This is my maximum price range, and is why I'm not looking for an original ES-125 - which would cost around AU$2-2500 to import here. I would also be very hesitant about buying a used vintage guitar sight unseen from overseas.

I'm looking specifically for the thinner body, florentine cutaway and trapeze tailpiece. If whatever I buy doesn't have P90s, I also plan to replace the humbuckers with high quality humbucker-sized P90s.

I already have a Tokai ES-155-SR in my collection, which provides my Gibson ES-335 sound, and it really is a great guitar - beautiful in the flame maple. It will be even better after a rewire and new pups in the near future!!

Edward

edwardcr said:
I already have a Tokai ES-155-SR in my collection, which provides my Gibson ES-335 sound, and it really is a great guitar - beautiful in the flame maple. It will be even better after a rewire and new pups in the near future!!

Edward

No it won't be better, but do it anyway. :D

Unfortunately Tokai don't make anything like the ES125, only the FA70 and FA235.

Diamond said:
No it won't be better, but do it anyway. :D

Unfortunately Tokai don't make anything like the ES125, only the FA70 and FA235.

Thanks Diamond.

1. Are the PAF-Vintage MK2 pups that good? As a first-time Tokai owner I'm not aware of these things, although they do sound pretty good compared to the pups on my Les Paul Traditional!

2. A pity, but I thought that this might be the case - and no luck with Edwards or Burny either :(

It looks like my options are either the FA70 or the Eastman AR372CE, and live with the thicker body, or simply convert my Hagstrom Viking Deluxe to humbucker-size P90s (a thin-body 335 shape with a trapeze tailpiece).

Latest posts

Back