Gibson Electronics

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paladin2019 said:
humongous said:
Thanks baggy will look into this once i've purchased the electronics set. Leaning towards the RS Guitarworks set, unless somebody can convince me why I need to put an outdated circuitry into my les paul, compared to the newest technology from RS'??

While the RS kit has its advantages (matched values I believe) there's no rule that says you can't wire up the other kits any way you **** well please - therefore any kit you buy can have the modern RS wiring configuration if you want. As I said, they all use exactly the same components.

None of the kits could be considered either new or outdated. In fact, many people prefer the original 1950's layout - it doesn't get much more "outdated" than that! :lol:

Sorry, Fake58 and RS Guitarworks are not using the same components. For example, they have completely differenct sources for capacitors. Also, RS Guitarworks let CTS produce some pots especially for guitar application and is indeed metering all pots if someone is buying an upgrade set. Metering and matching the pots is a huge advantage. RS Guitarworks started to offer some old fashioned paper-in-oil-caps from Jensen as well.

Neverheless, I would not be able to say that RS Guitarworks is offering better stuff than Fake58. I have no contract or personal relationship with RS Guitarworks, even though I think that you have to look a lot to find more helpful and gentle persons. But they are considering some things which are really important for having good electronics. You can wire the Fake58 and the RS Guitarworks electronics both in a vintage or modern style.

I know both RS and FAKE they are both famous at the internet but buying from fake58 i really expecting much better quality electronics than RS.

Lefty Blues said:
Sorry, Fake58 and RS Guitarworks are not using the same components. For example, they have completely differenct sources for capacitors. Also, RS Guitarworks let CTS produce some pots especially for guitar application and is indeed metering all pots if someone is buying an upgrade set. Metering and matching the pots is a huge advantage. RS Guitarworks started to offer some old fashioned paper-in-oil-caps from Jensen as well.

I think they still offer the orange drop caps in their kits as an alternative to the more expensive oil types. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything more expensive than an orange drop because once you get out of el-cheapo territory they all sound the same.

Matching is a definate plus though.

What do CTS do to make their pots "guitar specific"?

Paladin2019 said:
Lefty Blues said:

I think they still offer the orange drop caps in their kits as an alternative to the more expensive oil types. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything more expensive than an orange drop because once you get out of el-cheapo territory they all sound the same.

Matching is a definate plus though.

What do CTS do to make their pots "guitar specific"?

Look at the following link:

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=334

I do not expect that this is just a good marketing strategy.

Okay right now I'm confused about the wire connections. Take a look at these, which one should i use?

From Lace Music

From Seymour Duncan's

From Axesrus

And can someone point me which one is the old 50's style wiring? And if you could share a look into your own guitar's electronics, that would very helpful too.

1 more thing what do you basically do when the diagram shows a *ground sign?

Many Thanks! :)

humongous said:

Hi,

For the modern wiring, the Lace diagram seems to be OK ... 8)

... if you want to go for the '50s wiring, one of our mates has a wonderful diagram that shows the right way ...
http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/images/50sschematic.jpg

... but you need the braided shields wires for that mod !!! 8)

My Tokai stock wiring ...

Tok-Cav1.jpg
[/img]

I prefer the braided shield wires on my pups because I don't need coil tapping mod ... regarding the ground it is necessary to solder the metal coating to the pots ... :wink:

Roger
PS ... although my hp is on German you can also take a look at the chapter "wiring" on the Technical page ... there are diagrams too ... !!

humongous said:
Okay right now I'm confused about the wire connections. Take a look at these, which one should i use?

From Lace Music

From Seymour Duncan's

From Axesrus

And can someone point me which one is the old 50's style wiring? And if you could share a look into your own guitar's electronics, that would very helpful too.

Many Thanks! :)

Hi,

you should also take a look at the following link where different types of Les Paul wirings are described in good way:

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf

But take care: the lower drawing on page 3 shows a ground wire going from pot to pot in a circle. This may cause a ground loop problem. To prevent this, it is enough not to solder a ground wire between both volume pots.

Lefty Blues said:
But take care: the lower drawing on page 3 shows a ground wire going from pot to pot in a circle. This may cause a ground loop problem. To prevent this, it is enough not to solder a ground wire between both volume pots.

Hi,

what is a ground loop problem ???? How can I realize it ???

I'm asking because I've got problems with the neck vol pot since yesterday ... '50s wiring on my Edwards ... the neck pup is ON although the pot shows "0" ... :roll:
I have the ground wire in a circle ... :-?

Roger

tudor said:
Lefty Blues said:

Hi,

what is a ground loop problem ???? How can I realize it ???

I'm asking because I've got problems with the neck vol pot since yesterday ... '50s wiring on my Edwards ... the neck pup is ON although the pot shows "0" ... :roll:
I have the ground wire in a circle ... :-?

Roger

For a better explanation than I could ever give see:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/grounding-faq.txt

If you have a ground loop in your guitar circuit, you will have a nice and remarkable hum. If you do not listen this hum, you do not have a problem with a ground loop. Hearing the neck pu all the time must have another wiring reason.

Thanks alot ... :lol:

... I don't hear any hum ... all is quiet !!! :wink: :wink:

... my problem is just when I've plugged in and the toggle stands on "NECK" ... and if I turn the vol ON and OFF the problem disappears ...

... seems to be a dodgy pot ... Thanks Mark !!

Roger

Back