Gibson Electronics

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humongous

Reaction score
HI guys I know a lot of you have upgraded your Tokai to higher grade electronics and Im about to do that.

So basically, where do you find these stuff (except ebay);
1. set of CTS pots
2. orange drop caps
3. Switchcraft toggle switch
4. Switchcraft jack
5. Western electric wires

- and how much did you pay for them?
- also note that I'm in the UK

Thanks all!

These people provide an excellent service: http://www.axesrus.com/axecart.htm Give 'em a bell and talk to Tony if you have any questions at all regarding upgrading your guitar. He's very pleasant and knowledgeable and always has time for a chat. And they're very fast with their deliveries - at least that's my experience going back over several years of dealing with them on a regular basis.

www.fake58.co.uk

All you need in one easy kit, and it's as cheap as sourcing everything yourself!

As a side note, these aren't really "gibson" electronics. Gibson only uses this level of stuff on the custom shop reissues.

humongous,

Look what you need here ... they are highly recommended on LPF ...

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=102

... and order here ... Ray is superb, reliable and absolutely honest ...

http://stores.ebay.de/Rays-Custom-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Hope it helps ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

The link doesnt work but i heard a thing or two about them. Where can I find these RS Guitarworks upgrade kit in the UK?

Seems like Ray doesnt have any of them in their listing too. Or do you mean I have to contact them personally to make an order?

Axesrus looks fine. Most other recommended websites would yield a higher price when all the pieces combined altogether, compared to Axesrus's ?37 Gibson electronics kit.

Hope to get more info from you guys. cheers ;)

humongous said:
The link doesnt work but i heard a thing or two about them. Where can I find these RS Guitarworks upgrade kit in the UK?

You can't, but it's no big deal to order them from the US. The kit I linked to is UK based and uses the exact same components.

Kaze said:
Do the pre-wired Kits with long shaft fit into a Tokai without problems?

No. Tokais are fitted with Japanese pots which are the short version - in addition, I think they're thinner than CTS so you will need to get your pot holes reamed out a bit.

Paladin2019 said:
Kaze said:

No. Tokais are fitted with Japanese pots which are the short version - in addition, I think they're thinner than CTS so you will need to get your pot holes reamed out a bit.

A small, fine grade, curved file does the job in less than five minutes :D

BaggyPants said:
Paladin2019 said:
Kaze said:

A small, fine grade, curved file does the job in less than five minutes :D

What is that you're referring to? A file? Enlighten me please.

The Tokai control pot holes in the guitar top need enlarging to fit the CTS pots through. The shafts on the Japanese pots are slightly narrower. I used one of these:

file1.jpg

file2.jpg

The curved face makes it easier to keep the holes circular. Very easy to do :)

I have a LS 180 and i want to buy from fake58.com this kit "Fake 58 wiring harness, CTS pots, long shaft. ?100"

i was wondering if the pots fits right at the guitar ?

i also want to know if i am going to have a better sound after replacing the old electronics with the new ones from fake58.com

Thanks baggy will look into this once i've purchased the electronics set. Leaning towards the RS Guitarworks set, unless somebody can convince me why I need to put an outdated circuitry into my les paul, compared to the newest technology from RS'??

mesfigas said:
I have a LS 180 and i want to buy from fake58.com this kit "Fake 58 wiring harness, CTS pots, long shaft. ?100"

i was wondering if the pots fits right at the guitar ?

i also want to know if i am going to have a better sound after replacing the old electronics with the new ones from fake58.com

I would have an eye on the RS Guitarworks stuff as well. They seem to take a lot of care on caps and pots and are cheaper than Fake58, even if you consider shipping, taxes and custom duties. They have great reviews in the internet. Does Fake58 has a good reputation, too?

humongous said:
Thanks baggy will look into this once i've purchased the electronics set. Leaning towards the RS Guitarworks set, unless somebody can convince me why I need to put an outdated circuitry into my les paul, compared to the newest technology from RS'??

While the RS kit has its advantages (matched values I believe) there's no rule that says you can't wire up the other kits any way you **** well please - therefore any kit you buy can have the modern RS wiring configuration if you want. As I said, they all use exactly the same components.

None of the kits could be considered either new or outdated. In fact, many people prefer the original 1950's layout - it doesn't get much more "outdated" than that! :lol:

Back