Finish code stamp and actual finish mismatch - have we seen it before?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voidoid56

Reaction score
I've currently have a 1979 ST-50BB (neckplate serial 9009707) on my workbench, and I'm trying to ascertain whether or not it's in original condition, refinished or even a parts guitar.

To begin with, there is nothing really off in terms of any parts being either non-Tokai or anachronistic for a '79 Springy. The body has the expected Tokai construction tells, and the model number is stamped in the neck pocket, which seems right for the vintage.
The maple neck has a U profile and "50" embossed into the fretboard below fret 21, a poly finish and a button string tree, all ST-50 features in 1979. The hardware is all correct, except for one ESP-stamped tuner (the bent original came in the case) and it also has a repro decal applied by me to replace the partly vandalized original.
Same with the electronics, a pristine B-setup (stamp on the pickguard) with U's, neat plastic-covered wiring, bread-bag wire twist in place, brass shield, "soft" 5-way switch and the expected rubber-stamped pots. Absolutely no signs of tampering, even the output jack solder joins seem untouched. The whole thing is also in excellent condition, with almost no dings and untarnished metal. One of the cleaner Springys I've had actually. But it gets weird.

The neck is stamped 12 =1 and the 8 = 6, so a good 4-month difference according to the current interpretation. Also, the finish code is YS, i e three-tone sunburst, not BB. The stamp seems to have been applied on bare wood, then given a coat of clear, then taped over, after which a coat of black has been applied. It looks like a pro job (def no rattlecan involved), very even and polished. It appears to be fairly thin, you can still see the texture of the wood, though with less definition than on a guitar with just a single coat of paint. It's applied quite liberally inside though, covering the cavities completely, which you don't normally see. The neck pocket is bare wood with black edges along the front and right side, which exactly matches the closest thing I've had before, a 1978 ST-42YS.

So, a mongrel '79 with a refinished body, right? Yeah, quite likely. But I don't know, it just seems so neat, untouched and otherwise correct and consistent.

I can't help thinking factory refin. Not an unknown thing, Fender did them all the time, a solid majority of pre-CBS guitars with custom colours have a sunburst finish underneath. And the fact that the original stamp was taped over before the black coat was applied really only makes sense if someone was interested in retaining the info for QA purposes. Also, the 4 months time difference between the body and neck could be explained if a painted but unused body was taken out of storage to make this guitar.

I don't know, and I can't say I expect to ever know for sure, but have we seen other guitars with mismatched paint code and finish like this one?

2023-10-30 16.54.22.jpg

2023-10-30 15.58.53.jpg

2023-10-30 09.47.27.jpg

2023-10-30 09.58.59.jpg

2023-10-30 15.59.41.jpg

2023-10-30 15.57.41.jpg

Latest posts

Back