Felt like a new Jazz Box was in order

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mertzy

Reaction score
So I picked up what I think is a mid to late 70's Greco FA-700 from Rinkya. Anyone have any experience with these?

GrecoFA-700.jpg

Rinkya just shipped it so I don't have it yet.

Yup.... nice guitars. Swapped out the stock pickups for a set of Seth Lovers. Howls like a siren if I turn just right but nice, fat tone. Is the neck on yours maple?

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

I have one of those and a burst Mint Collection from 82 or 83.
The only thing I don't like about the one from 77 is that it has maple neck.
But that is more my personal preference cause it is a good guitar. Mine had FEB and braz board as well.

I haven't received the guitar yet but I'm pretty sure the neck is maple and I think it has FEB, the Braz I will see when it gets here.

Are the stock pickups anything notable in these? (I assume no if marcusnieman changed em) If not I have a pair of Ibanez Super 70's that will be in need of a new home shortly.

BTW marcusnieman, that guitar is in very nice shape!

mertzy said:
I haven't received the guitar yet but I'm pretty sure the neck is maple and I think it has FEB, the Braz I will see when it gets here.

Are the stock pickups anything notable in these? (I assume no if marcusnieman changed em) If not I have a pair of Ibanez Super 70's that will be in need of a new home shortly.

BTW marcusnieman, that guitar is in very nice shape!

Thanks Mertz..... Mine's a Super Real Collection issue and believe it has fret edge binding.... don't recall what the pickups were in it. I had a set of Seth Lovers laying around and decided to put them in......

note to self: need to remember what I did with those Greco pickups.

BTW-I'm referring to marcusnieman's Jazz Box, serial number J896364, not Le juge's Clear Sound Project.

Hey Le juge - does your 1991 Clear Sound Project have a serial number on the headstock or inside f-hole label? I previously owned a 1991 SA59 with no serial number anywhere - indicative of a Tokai manufacture I'm pretty sure.

Freebird said:
Serial number looks like a 1989 manufacture date to me. Open O logo Mint Collection

I'll have to look at the label again. I'm almost positive it said Super Real Project..... yes, it is an 89. Also has the correct Gibson flowerpot badge.

Now I really wonder what the original pickups are - still can't find the **** things.

Freebird said:
BTW-I'm referring to marcusnieman's Jazz Box, serial number J896364, not Le juge's Clear Sound Project.

Hey Le juge - does your 1991 Clear Sound Project have a serial number on the headstock or inside f-hole label? I previously owned a 1991 SA59 with no serial number anywhere - indicative of a Tokai manufacture I'm pretty sure.
Yes, it has a serial number but I've made a mistake in my previous post, mine is a 1990 model (serial is L90XXXX).

Holy Smoke ! Nice guitars...I would really like to get a ES 175 type...

I am still so tempted to buy one of these ES175 copies but what I really want is a Greco Gretsch 6120 copy! There was one on YJ 3 weeks ago and he re-listed it several times but I did not have the funding...then someone bought it and I realized afterward I would have sold my 88 Super Real RS90 for it! Argh!! They are not seen much either...sold for 60K.

4270568798_fe6aa805b9_b.jpg
4270570364_d90ba95aab_b.jpg

4270573204_767237137c_b.jpg
4269827501_f00f98f138_b.jpg

Yeah it is a work of art no doubt! Tortoise front, back, neck, and head binding. Real abalone inlays, Duncan pups, Grover tuners, etc all right from the factory. There were not many of this model made and they came in mother of pearl white, traditional sunburst, tobacco burst (mine), and natural.

Latest posts

Back