Chinese Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish78

Reaction score
Could someone tell me about the Chinese Tokai LP style guitars...accuracy, components, quality, sound? Anything else relevant.

I never had one but talked to a dealer last week and was really surprised to hear that in China or Korea not one Tokai factory exist (what I believed before).What we have in China are big factorys building guitars with every name you want on the headstock.Tokai is not the only brand ordering guitars from there,all the big brands selling low priced made in China guitars do the same.And I believed before the guitar builders there are trained by Tokai luthiers... :oops:
But from what I've heard regarding the quality they must be good guitars for the money.

S6000683.jpg
S6000703-1.jpg
S6001528.jpg
here are my two (gold top used mostly by my daughter) bought them about 2 years ago now,sunburst has a great neck ,slim but very playable. slight finish problem (lacquer crack above selecter switch) gold top chunkyer neck ,slight mark on back from stand. but paid ?200 & ?220 .so bargain . both play very well but think the pick ups in the sunburst sound slightly bluesier (gold top more of a jazzy tone) .also have a HAMMER sunburst (gold top p90/sunburst is the model) also made in china .to a very high spec.So i was aware of the standard that could be acheved. As always tokai did not disapoint[/img]

Can you make a close-up photos of fretboard inlays of this guitars, japaxes?
I wonder to what finish quality standard they make guitars in China :lol:

A bit OT I know but chinese guitars are getting better and better. As I think was recommended by Gabe at our last convention I recently got a second hand Guild GAD-F40 acoustic. The quality and appearance are great and most importantly it's the nicest sounding acoustic I've ever had. Fantastic value for money!

Cant't remember if my Eastwood Airline Tuxedo was Chinese or Korean but that too was a pretty good guitar for the money.

Dave

DaveWW said:
Cant't remember if my Eastwood Airline Tuxedo was Chinese or Korean but that too was a pretty good guitar for the money.

Dave

If I recall, they are Korean.... I have two Tuxedos and they are great guitars. I also have an Eastwood H44 (2 pickups) I use for slide.

Still love this demo (never mind the joint.... hehe...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnutK1HhY9E

@jacco:
That was a joke... or maybe not :D
But I seriously wonder how well they are made.
I am a costumer, not a seller or some Tokai fanatic. I currently own black 2008 LS-80 and I might consider buying another Les Paul with violin/iced tea finish in a near future.
At the moment, this inlay filler thing and messy finish in a cutaway prevent me from choosing Tokai.
What's the point, if for similiar cash used Burnys and older Tokais deliver better finish, and who knows, maybe even a better tone with VH-1?
So from my point of view, bitching about this issues on the main Tokai forum is just a natural costumer reaction/feedback.

Diamond, as a seller asked in a topic related to inlays about a standard to wchich we compare Tokai.
So I want to determine how well Chinese Tokai manufacterers deal with inlays.

DaveWW said:
A bit OT I know but chinese guitars are getting better and better.

Dave

+1 the Chinese Burnys are amazing, I was trying an amp in town and the guy handed me a 'Les Paul' after 10 mins I thought 'these new Gibsons are really nice, don't know why they get slated' then I looked at the headstock!! for 400 quid thay are a steal, better IMO than the Chinese Tokais, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

What's the story with the cutaway finish now? Is this the absurd allegation I heard a while ago that "you can see a strip on maple" under the binding that's different in colour to the mahogany.

If it's that, then you'd be forced to turn down sunburst LPs made from 1958 to 1960 too. Although many are able to overlook that flaw and they still go for good prices from what I've heard.

Apart from that glaring error, the finish in the cutaway of my Tokai is absolutely perfect.

t.olsen said:
I never had one but talked to a dealer last week and was really surprised to hear that in China or Korea not one Tokai factory exist (what I believed before).

Neither does a Fender Japan factory exist. :D

messer said:
@jacco:

At the moment, this inlay filler thing and messy finish in a cutaway prevent me from choosing Tokai.

If you want quality then you must buy a Gibson...and they're really well priced, you pay $1000 for the guitar, and $1500 for the Gibson decal.

singemonkey said:
What's the story with the cutaway finish now? Is this the absurd allegation I heard a while ago that "you can see a strip on maple" under the binding that's different in colour to the mahogany.

If it's that, then you'd be forced to turn down sunburst LPs made from 1958 to 1960 too. Although many are able to overlook that flaw and they still go for good prices from what I've heard.

Apart from that glaring error, the finish in the cutaway of my Tokai is absolutely perfect.

I had a guy phone me to complain after he bought an LS95S Gold Top.

He spent 10 minutes screaming at me about Tokais sloppy finish, when I finally managed to ask him WTF he was talking about he explained to me that if you look at the bottom cutaway you see a strip of a "different" coloured wood between the binding and the body...he couldn't believe how sloppy that was, he thought Tokais were meant to be high quality guitars.

When I see him in music stores these days he runs and hides, but I find him and make him admit to me that he's a doos. :D

singemonkey said:

It?s not about the maple top that?s visible in the cutaway. I think Messer is talking about the white binding that is not uniform(wavy/rugged) and/or overspray. He?s got a point, if his objective is cosmetic perfection. To me those small cosmetic flaws are not important as long as it doesn?t affect the playability. For instance, my LS95S has overspray and rugged binding my LS80 not. Funnily enough, the one with ?bad? binding(LS95S) was perfectly playable when I bought it, the one with ?good? binding(LS80) not. So if I had to choose between these two, I would go for the one with the ?bad? binding.

singemonkey said:
Huh. Haven't seen that myself.

That doesn?t surprise me. If it hadn?t come up in a few threads, I also wouldn?t have noticed it. It?s very minimal, you really have to focus on it.

Latest posts

Back