Canadian Built Tokai Strat ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doavaado

Reaction score
I have a Tokai Strat. I was told that it was assembled in Toronto by Active Music in late 2003. The guitar is made up of parts from the USA (electronics) and the neck and the body were products from Japan. Active took the initiative of assembling 25 of these guitars when they realized Tokai was winding down the North American distribution. Active employed an Ex Tokai luthier from Japan to do the setups on the 25 guitars. These guitars were marketed in 2005. This guitar has no serial number on it or any other markings. It has "Tokai, GoldStar Sound, Oldies but Goodies"on the head stock. I have had the neck off the guitar and there is the number "24" wrote on the body under where the neck mounts. I was also told that this guitar was built with the same specifications that Stevie Ray Vaughan was to endorse for Tokai before his death.
Does anyone have any information on these guitars? Who was the luthier? Were there only Strats made or was there other models included in the 25 made? Who else might have one? Can confirm the story?
Thanks;
Doug

Hi doavaado, You have read the other post about the Tokai Fakes, well your guitar came from the same period so i don't think its to hard to work out.

Mick

doavaado said:
I was also told that this guitar was built with the same specifications that Stevie Ray Vaughan was to endorse for Tokai before his death.

Doug

There wasn't any type of contractural endorsement deal between Stevie and Tokai - no signature model or built - to specifications. It amounted to a few photo ads for he and Tommy Shannon in the early days in exchange for a little cash.

Both of them were under contract to Fender USA.

I have pictures of this, but can't figure out how to post them on this site. Anyone know how? I agree that this guitar doesn't qualify as a factory built Tokai, I'm just trying to get as much information about it as possible.

IMAGE0002.jpg
[/img]
IMAGE0004.jpg
IMAGE0005.jpg
IMAGE0003.jpg
[/img]
I apologize for the picture quality.

Latest posts

Back