Burny Arrival - '87 RLG-70 Flame?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udonitron

Reaction score
So I just received this Burny yesterday and got it for DIRT cheap on a private deal from Japan. The photos of it initially were good enough to see that there were no breaks or cracks anywhere but that was as far as the details went. Well when it arrived I was partially bummed and stunned to see the original owner had painted the ENTIRE top chocolate gloss brown with a spray bomb!? WTF?

The top had been cleared of the paint but with what seems to have been a Brillo pad or something harsh as it is pretty scratched up. The fool also left the pups intact and just sprayed over the entire top of EVERYTHING thus the bridge cavity was filled with brown paint, underneath and on top of the pointers and pots, on the top of the neck pup, and paint runs down the side of the guitar! Perhaps it was his kid who did it? I have cleaned out the cavities completely now (I will have to post updated pics) and most other areas, just the buffing is now needed.

Anyway I have dismantled everything and slowly cleaning it up. Last night as I started to clear away the bridge cavity (Seymour Duncan JB is in the bridge which is nice) I was pleasantly surprised to find a serial and model number in the cavity! Hand written in there is either RLG70 or 90 (Japanese normally cross their 7's so it could be a 9 but I think it's a 70) and a serial # of 72901. Jan 29, 1987 I suspect as the RLG70 run ended in 95/96 (and cherry burst was very rare during the 95/96 run on the RLG70's unless this creeped out in 1997 with a cherry top but it has fret edge binding so I stick to a 1987). Veneer top but it is about 2 mm thick which is decent. The neck on this one seems slightly more beefy than my other Burny. The back is ALMOST a 1 piece, just a sliver of the 2nd piece near the pot plate and it is all 1/4 sawn mahogany. Once it is up and running I will put her up for sale locally I suspect. Check out the photos, your input is welcomed

Japanese Guitars - a set on Flickr

4103853718_c4a5872981_b.jpg

UPDATE::
I just spent 6 hours last night redoing the top of this guitar (removing all the screws, posts, etc and gently rubbing the hell out of it...poly rocks for that!). It seriously looked like someone had taken 40-60 grit (or coarse steel wool) and sanded the whole top...very deep scratches! I thought I was doomed but I used 600 wet grit and took out all the scratches, then followed up with 2000 grit wet to remove the swirls from the 600, and finally polished/finished it with 3M 3000 grit rubbing compound/swirl remover (for cars) and it now looks killer! The top is back to its mint and super glossy original state.

4106078001_44e96d4c3f_b.jpg

4106056881_288212173f_b.jpg

4106825470_dbde283ced_b.jpg

4106061049_098ace18d0_b.jpg

4106843634_f8473b006a_b.jpg

I've decided you have too many guitars... you need to sell me the birdseye... 8)

Yeah that baby is a keeper. I just received my Kluson tuners and am waiting for the glue in the screw holes to set so that I can screw them on. The previous owner was **** smart when he mounted the Grovers as he carefully drilled from the back and only went in 3/4 of the way so the top part of the hole on the script side is still the 10mm size so no conversion bushings needed and no worry of him splintering the top veneer on the head. The vintage green pearloids just look so much better although they do not hold as good of a tune.

Udonitron said:
The vintage green pearloids just look so much better although they do not hold as good of a tune.[/color]

you may want to consider locating a set of the early '80s Greco tuners with the threaded style shaft bushings, like the Grovers have

they have the correct style plastic turns, and stay in tune as good as a Grover 8)

Hey MIJ

Thanks for the advice! I will look into that for sure. For now I just put on the set of green knob Wilkinson EZ-LOK's Kluson replicas and they are actually staying in tune quite nicely...the guitar looks much better to boot! I would however a set of tarnished/aged vintage tuners for the Burny :D

MIJvintage said:
Udonitron said:
The vintage green pearloids just look so much better although they do not hold as good of a tune.[/color]

you may want to consider locating a set of the early '80s Greco tuners with the threaded style shaft bushings, like the Grovers have

they have the correct style plastic turns, and stay in tune as good as a Grover 8)
I like the way those old Greco Tuners look. My 54' Les Pauls tuners were scrounged to replace a set on a 60' Burst. When I got it, it had those green Gibson deluxes on it. It now has a set from an 81' Super Power that have that swirly look of 50's tuners.

Back