Braz boards on early Reborns.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only one there I would pick out as Braz would be the Historic. I know the EGF1800's should be, but they don't appear to be. As for how to be certain, I wouldn't have a clue :D

mij''s our lumber expert :wink:

If this ( http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf ) is reliable, and I have no idea if it is, then hardness varies. I don't know how you test for a Janka hardness but some hardness testing machines are portable and fairly simple and non-destructive.

Dave

JohnA said:
The only one there I would pick out as Braz would be the Historic. I know the EGF1800's should be, but they don't appear to be. As for how to be certain, I wouldn't have a clue :D

mij''s our lumber expert :wink:

I know a little bit about the stuff but I'm far from an expert .......

Brazilian is not on my lumber radar, sorry ...........

MIJvintage said:
Brazilian is not on my lumber radar, sorry ...........

Well you'd better get reading then, we expect you to know these things.

:wink:

DaveWW said:
Smells like a brazillian :lol: Is it waxed ? :lol:

Sorry Diodibuh - couldn't resist
;)
it's very nice smell, '80 LS80 and '78 LS60 have no smell at all. I really don't know how to describe it.

I own a Tokai jacaranda board and it?s different than Reborn one which I would say it?s indian(I wish jacaranda to ask jump value but....)

stratman323 said:
What about Springys & Breezys from the same time - surely they used the same sort of rosewood on the Fender clones too?

Mike

Here's an 81 ST100 from the Koiz.....Even If not brazillian,sure is pretty :eek:

IMG_21791.jpg

I also currently have an LS-320 with a Braz board, this is documented and catalogued as Brazillian, and it looks no different to some of my early reborns, its not a spectacular board at all, but it is Brazillian, so I know for sure that its not possible to tell just by the visual appearence. so far I have compared around 20 guitars with Known braz boards, 5 tokai LS-320's, 5 EGF-1800's and around 10 early EGF-1200's.. some of these obviously look brazillian, with the wavy grain and deep colour differences in the same board, but the majority are visually less striking. so it seems that not all Braz is the same, as with any wood, and so there must be a pretty large range of appearance just from what I have seen so far, and I am still going through all my old pics..

villager said:
I am still going through all my old pics..

Must have some time on your hands :wink:

Looks like it's not as obvious as I first thought, there must be a way to tell the two apart, but then again with the variations you must get some that look like the other.

Hello villager,
Sorry for joining the conversation and discussion so late!I have a
TOKAI LOVE ROCK LS80 from early 1980.
Heres some pictures ,hope it helps your research :lol: To me it looks like brazillian.
P1000161.jpg

P1000155.jpg

P1000160.jpg

P1000159.jpg

I have never cleaned this guitar since i got it from japan,It is just perfect as it is!

ENJOY!

MOJO HOBO

ok, so to me that looks to have quite open pores in the grain, which I associate more with Indian boards, but that may not be a valid way of telling.. I just don't know..but most my known braz seems to be finer pores...

...although it has some striation..

I would guess that as Indian, but thats the point, its just a guess!!

One possible conclusion from this discussion is that, if most people can't tell the difference, there's no significant advantage of Brazilian over other rosewoods. In other words, it doesn't matter..

Just a thought. :wink:

Again, I am no lumber expert but from personal experience over time, I have a bit of knowledge of various wood products.

There will be natural variations of characteristics within individual wood species, and that can be confusing.

Add into the mix the way lumber is cut, and the way grain, annual rings, fleck, etc. are exposed, and/or hidden by cutting methods.
This just adds another possible avenue of confusion when attempting to determine what particular wood/species example you have.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15715

Yeah! STRATMAN323,I totally agree now :(
I thought i could tell ,but now! , i am even more confused and unsure how to tell! :oops:
Does it make any more or any difference,i dunno ,I do not have a guitar yet with braz.or do i?
Will have to go and buy a reborn or reborn old to find out,it that a valid excuse i am telling myself :lol:

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
Will have to go and buy a reborn or reborn old to find out,it that a valid excuse i am telling myself :lol:

Well I'm sure villager would agree with you on that point!

:lol:

mojo hobo said:
Hello villager,
Sorry for joining the conversation and discussion so late!I have a
TOKAI LOVE ROCK LS80 from early 1980.
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/MWFAY/P1000159.jpg[/img]

I have never cleaned this guitar since i got it from japan,It is just perfect as it is!

ENJOY!

MOJO HOBO

I know the converstation is boards, but Mojo, that is a beautiful top on that 80 :wink:

Latest posts

Back