behringer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie h

Reaction score
Need your opinions guys, I asked Mum in law for behringer minifex unit
for birthday to plug into my portastudio, guy in shop said behringer are
rubbish lots of problems advised another unit (twice the price).
Been around a bit thought I knew what I was talking about but this has me
concerned any of you heard good/bad reviews, cheers guys.

Eddie

Most of the Behringer gear isn't pro level stuff, but it's excellent value, and for home recording with a portastudio should be just the job. Don't get conned in to buying something far better than you really need.

Which specific model are you looking at?

I would say the best thing about Behringer is the price. But in my experience it gives a lot of trouble, especially lights not working, noisy pots & switches and dodgy connectors. Most of this is irritating rather than terminal. If you use a lot of FX on your tracks go for something better. Otherwise Behringer should do the job.

Thanks guys thats what I'd thought. I only want it for a bit of reverb on vocals and it's not every day that I get a chance to play and record.
Anyway main effects for guitar still use my Zoom 4040 and my Yamaha DD55C drum kit is enough for me (not a drummer anyway)
:D

eddie h said:
guy in shop said behringer are
rubbish lots of problems advised another unit (twice the price).

Does the shop sell Behringer gear ? If they think its rubbish they should stop selling it.

This reminds me of the debate about which guitar is built in which factory.

Well, Behringer are manufactured on a production line in China alongside some very famous brand names using the same components and workforce. The only difference is the design spec. The pedals ( although look like Boss ) don't have a Boss circuit design, but the designer for Behringer is rather well know for some more "upmarket " equipment.

Behringer had a few issues with dodgy PSU on there euro mixers back in 1999-2000. They were all sorted. But Mackie ( who had there design ripped of by Behringer ) liked to remind people at every opportunity that Behringers PSU's failed.
A lot of my Mackie desks have failed.

Many blind tests have been carried out between V-amps and Line 6 Pods. Boss pedals and Behringer Pedals. There was no conclusion it was 50:50. Except Behringer stuff is half the price.

The salesman in the shop seems to be the typical ignorant ill informed idiot that thinks pay less = crap. There is no basis or evidence that says Behringer stuff is unreliable. It is a myth put out by the company's that Behringer chose to emulate. If Behringer never come along to shake up the market, your Line 6 and Mackie stuff would be twice the price.

It is snobbery at its worst.

I had a berigher phaser once. It was dirt cheap ?29 new!!!

It sounded nice, But it was noisy, felt cheap. It looked put together well just not good quality components.

I'd save up for something a bit better. Berhinger is very low end.

I use a Behringer Boost pedal...Less than $30 and worth twice that much to me :eek:
I've actually pulled the thing apart recently to see how it ticked...VERY simple design.
I use it AFTER my Zoom G2 to boost that tone.
It is by far the best clean boost I've ever used...I've been using it live for the past 2 years without issue.....the only slight drawback is no battery compartment...you HAVE to use an AC adapter.

ted said:

That was not cheap, that was expensive !

There only ?13.99 , you were ripped off. and by a low grade company as well ! :eek:

Donkey Oaty said:
ted said:

There only ?13.99 , you were ripped off. and by a low grade company as well ! :eek:

I had this one fella. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Vintage-Phaser-VP1-Guitar-Effect-Pedal_W0QQitemZ140200080306QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store

ted said:
Donkey Oaty said:
ted said:

I had this one fella. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-Vintage-Phaser-VP1-Guitar-Effect-Pedal_W0QQitemZ140200080306QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store

So why you blaming Behringer ?

They dont make that, its a re-badge from another <mid end brand name> :wink:

Just goes to show, nothing is in a name ( unless you find out WHO really makes this stuff )

Guys again thanks I'm always amazed at the ammount of knowledge that can be gained from this site. Think I will have last laugh after all, just applied for a job in said music store (fancy a change of career) hope I get it? :lol:

Back