Are these the same guitar? 1985 LS 200

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! Do my eyes deceive me? These two 1985 LS 200's have the same serial number but appear to have different figuring/grain patterns on the tops.

Asking because I nearly pulled the trigger on the active listing. Not accusing anyone of anything but these do not appear to be the same guitar (to me).

If anyone is curious about the semi hard to see serial number on the active listing I had the seller send me better pics. If anyone involved is a member here again no ill will from me just trying to figure this out. What is the chance of two LS 200's with the same serial number?

active listing

old listing

I was the owner of this guitar before current owner and after previous (from the old listing ;)

didn't look to see if they are the 'same' guitar but I did notice neither listing has a photo of the control route :rolleyes:

which for all things considered seems to be excessive laziness but no surprises .......

Well traveled guitar.

Japan > Poland > Norway > Slovenia > ?

671af45b4597bbf39060d063bb1dc03c.jpg

the (current) seller did go the extra mile to remove the strings and offer pics of numerous attributes of interest. That is a bit of effort to go through but then that is what is called 'customer service' before the sale.

I'm a bit miffed when any seller would go to that amount of effort but then not offer one decent photo of the control route as that amount of effort in comparison (removing 4 screws) would be quite minimal. :whistle:

I’m not sure how you tell an LS150 from an LS200 in this period?

The LS200 had a cashew finish as late as 1987 but I have seen at least one example with the residue of the 200 oval sticker where the Tokai logo did not have that pronounced yellow or amber tone.

LS200 Gallery 1979-

On my TE120 if you look at it with an LED headlamp the cashew finish really stands out over the binding.

1985 catalog

IMG_0278.jpeg

1987 catalog

IMG_0279.png

Last edited:
Also have my eye on a 83 LS 200. I already have a recently purchased solid top 82 LS 120, mentioned that here a few months ago. Not sure what the prime era is, correct me if I am wrong but I think I read 80-82. Where would this 85 LS 200 rate regarding quality of build and craftsmanship to my LS 120?

Back