Are these real Tokais ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattThorpe

Reaction score
ls238232236b.jpg

Are these genuine Tokai ? Personally I think they are horrible.

Matt

Real Tokai. No accounting for taste hey :p
Left one is LS238 SP AMB for sure http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=124&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31
LS232 SP OAK http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=125&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31
Don't know the last one.

Not my cup of tea, but seen a lot worse I suppose.

I rather like the yellow. It looks like the lemon drop quilt finish on MIJ love rocks. The right hand one looks like standard VF.

Leif said:
I rather like the yellow. It looks like the lemon drop quilt finish on MIJ love rocks. The right hand one looks like standard VF.

The one on the left is exactly what a Lemon Drop LS105Q maple top looks like.
That and the OAK LS105Q might just be the coolest looking Les Paul's Gibson will never make. ;)

"Triangle Heelless Body Shape" - the back is probably recessed by the neck, but can't find a picture of that
Spruce body, that's quite unusal for a LP.

What exactly is it that people do not like about these? It cannot be the body finish. The head stock? The cutaway? Guess I suffer from poor taste. :eek:

Leif said:
What exactly is it that people do not like about these? It cannot be the body finish. The head stock? The cutaway? Guess I suffer from poor taste. :eek:

Both, tbh. They don't look too great at all - the headstock just looks wrong (why the black trc?), and I cant see a single practical reason for the cutaways being shaped liked that - they look somewhat naff imo.

In my case it's the headstocks. And also the fact that the TRC doesn't match the rest of the headstock, just like on some of those really cheap-and-nasty Japanese guitars from the 70s.

I kinda like them. I do like the matching headstock color and also the cutaway (reminds me of my PRS Custom24, which anatomically completely logical). Regarding the TRC you have a point!

They seem all to be SEB as well - not keen :-?

http://www.theguitarshop.jp/e_guitar/ms-special/ms.html

Dave

jacco said:
I kinda like them. I do like the matching headstock color and also the cutaway (reminds me of my PRS Custom24, which anatomically completely logical). Regarding the TRC you have a point!

Yes, the TRC should be the same colour as the head stock. I'm not keen on the Swarovski crystal, and I'm not sure about SEB. But I do like the look, especially the yellow.

Well for me I just like the classic Les Paul shape so a Tokai Love Rock has me drooling much the same as a Gibson Les Paul does. The Les Paul has been an icon in my life and played by all my favourite guitarists. When I see and play that classic design it connects all that is important to me about our musical heritage and my life discovering music and players.

These new models are just a mutilation of a classic design.

They probably play great and they are probably collectable (don't get me going on that subject either!) but not for me just like PRS.

I wonder if Tokai with their renowed copying 'cheek' are going to poke these into the US market ? The guitars are very like a PRS Singlecut and a Les Paul but aren't exactly either. Gibson lost their lawsuit on the PRS Singlecut and Tokai might have a good legal precedent to have a go at the US again ! - pure conjecture on my part !

maybe they shouldn't call it Love Rock, might have been better to call it something else to cater for all tastes.
Gibson have released some hideous looking things under the Les Paul name though.

katoi said:
maybe they shouldn't call it Love Rock, might have been better to call it something else to cater for all tastes.
Gibson have released some hideous looking things under the Les Paul name though.

Maybe they shouldn't call their Chinese product Tokai at all, but use a name along the lines of "Orville by Gibson" or Squier by Fender"? That would protect the good Tokai name by keeping it for Japanese production.

And it would avoid a couple of the rows these pages have seen in the last couple of weeks.

Are you listening Tokai.....?

Man, hardly a mutilation. They're a modified Les Paul, and far more attractive than a Les Paul Reccording - which is still called a Les Paul btw.

I don't like the look of these. But it isn't the modifications - I think that's kind of cool although they probably won't find many takers among us in the international Tokai fan club - we're in it for the clones man :D

But the colours of these examples are a little egregious. I'd like to see one in solid red and white, for example, or black and white. Just straighter, modern colours.

katoi said:

yeh Gibson have also been guilty of this - they are milking everything they can out of the Les Paul especially all the special runs at highly inflated prices for collectors to put in glass cases and hope that it really was an investement ! - No need for Tokai to do the same surely !

Latest posts

Back