Are there NON-open-book or Elitist MIJ Epiphones?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington Irving

Reaction score
Hello,
I found this on ebay and I'm wondering is what the seller writes about this guitar is true.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-LTD-ED-Les-Paul-59-Standard-Specs-MIJ-/180542057299?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2a09252b53

he claims it to be MIJ, but I never heard of mij Epis that have a normal Epi headstock. Also - the part about the changed serial makes it even more fishy.

Washington Irving said:
Hello,
I found this on ebay and I'm wondering is what the seller writes about this guitar is true.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-LTD-ED-Les-Paul-59-Standard-Specs-MIJ-/180542057299?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2a09252b53

he claims it to be MIJ, but I never heard of mij Epis that have a normal Epi headstock. Also - the part about the changed serial makes it even more fishy.

Well, MIJ for export and MIJ for domestic sales may differ with respect to the headstock. Mine here has the same F stamp serial number but it also says MIJ.

Epi1.jpg

Epi4.jpg

Epi2.jpg

Epi3.jpg

I don't like that guitar at all - on some of the pics it almost looks like there is a join between the headstock and the neck and a two piece tenon.
If I'm right then you can probably count on it not being a high end MIJ Epiphone.

I also don't like the non-ABR bridge, the "Les Paul" script on the headstock, the cream back panels and the lettering on the poker chip.
I had a search around on the internet and could not find a MIJ headstock with that fat looking lettering for the script.
The logo is also very different to the one on Marcus' guitar, and I just don't believe this one is MIJ.

If I'm wrong then I'm really sorry for damning the guitar to hell, but I've seen enough to walk away. :-?

It does look like this one though:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele.../Epiphone/1959-Les-Paul-Standard/Details.aspx

But of course it doesn't tell you where it's made...

Other issues:
"As far as we can tell this Les Paul meets almost all the specifications of the 59 Standard Custom Shop
Limited Edtion Guitar"
This entire statement is very vague even without the "as far as we can tell" bit, and sounds a lot like someone who doesn't want to be pinned down on something, maybe because they are not sure themselves.
No original case or certificate.

There is the Elite/Elitist MIJ Epis that have a non-open book headstock, but it isn't the type of headstock on the guitar in question here.

I hope someone else will chime in here and balance out my negative feelings about this guitar before you dismiss it entirely - I could be wrong.

My advice would be to get yourself onto Rinkya and pick up a Japanese domestic Epiphone for the same/less money.

It's a completely legit Epiphone model. I have seen a lot of those around here in Holland with that thick logo, bridge and cream back plates.
What I don't like about this add is that it's a store liquidation so the guitar can't be returned and it isn't that cheap at all; they're about ?100 cheaper over here..

jacco said:
It's a completely legit Epiphone model. I have seen a lot of those around here in Holland with that thick logo, bridge and cream back plates.
What I don't like about this add is that it's a store liquidation so the guitar can't be returned and it isn't that cheap at all; they're about ?100 cheaper over here..

But where is it made? Seller states MIJ high end model - I don't believe it, but then I generally don't believe people who are trying to sell things...

That's hard to tell.
The LPs I know of have MIJ on the back of the headstock, this one doesn't. But then this one has Limited Edition/Custom Shop on it.. whatever that accounts for, but surely the custom shop would be in Japan?
The routing & neck tenon look legit.
It has 2 Gibson pups which I don't think MIK/MIC models have.
I am not that familiar with Epiphone S/N but the strange thing is that this serial is from 2003, I think and the pups from 2009???

Epihone Elitist made for USA market had old Gibson head shape(30's)....

Latest posts

Back