Anniversary

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcusnieman said:
Just pulled the trigger on one - Violin Finish
Congratulations Marcus, I know you have too many guitars, but you won't regret this one. :D Please tell us your opinion when it arrives!
And now I'm off to my gig with my band tonight 8)

Kappie said:
marcusnieman said:
Just pulled the trigger on one - Violin Finish
Congratulations Marcus, I know you have too many guitars, but you won't regret this one. :D Please tell us your opinion when it arrives!
And now I'm off to my gig with my band tonight 8)

LOL... can you really have too many guitars? (the answer is yes - I have guitars that I've forgotten I had)

Had my eye on one of these Anniversary's since they first came out. I'll let you guys have a peek when it arrives. Thanks Gottfried.

BlueThird said:
Diamond said:
I think I need to put a tailpiece on my SC-2...it's a great guitar, but it would be even better with a tailpiece.

Is that purely on aesthetic grounds Diamond? If it is, maybe some different ferrules might be worth a look. Stewmac have these:

0286_1lg.jpg

I've always liked the idea of string through designs, but the ferrules on the SC-2 make it look a bit stark to me.

Thanks Blue Third...these do look good, I might try them.

Mine just arrived, despite the postal strike we've got on at the moment. Brilliantly packed, and an absolutely beautiful guitar, though I've never much been into the idea of fancy tops. Don't quite know how this works, but you can sometimes just tell a really good guitar from the moment you pick it up. It's one of those. A single chord confirmed it ? this one really is quite some way ahead of my 1983 Love Rock. Better feel, better sound, better sustain. And it's got character already.

One piece back, Faber locking bridge system, lightweight tailpiece, seriously good pickups.

Only problem is that I've got a stack of work to get through. :roll:

marcusnieman said:
Thanks Gottfried.

Indeed. And a very big thanks to everyone who didn't buy one of these. As other recent buyers have noted, I'm feeling something like guilty and absolutely astonished at having bought so much guitar for so little.

BlueThird said:
marcusnieman said:
Thanks Gottfried.

Indeed. And a very big thanks to everyone who didn't buy one of these. As other recent buyers have noted, I'm feeling something like guilty and absolutely astonished at having bought so much guitar for so little.

No reason to feel guilty, just enjoy your new guitar. Merry Christmas.

Santa.

Took a few photos today, and figure it must be about time to whet Marcus's appetite.

As I mentioned above, I've never really been a huge fan of fancy tops, but I finally worked out why I love the GA150Q so much. Because it doesn't also have a burst finish, it's basically a 3D goldtop.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Gorgeous quilt top - and I'm not usually a fan either.

My violin finish Anniversary just arrived. Pics and review to follow. Lots to like about this guitar. 8)

Phenomenal quilting! Hope it plays as great as it looks.

Reminds me of a Tokai LS-420 Custom Shop that former member Buckwild sold several years ago. Still kicking myself over letting that one get away.

Don't think anyone's going to be particularly surprised to learn that this one is a veneer. The model number is GA150Q, so it's in nothing like the same league as an LS420.

Internal routing is slightly different to what I expected. Given that the electrics are just what you'd expect in a Love Rock, even down to the Fifties style wiring, I imagined there would be a diagonal channel going from the controls across to the switch. Instead, each of the pickup routes is served separately, with the switch cable passing only through the neck cavity.

Cavities are extremely tidy ??much more so than on my Love Rock ? and the neck tenon is the longest I've seen. Here's a pic from the German Tokai website (not of my guitar):

IMG_5937%20(Medium).JPG

What do you reckon to yours, Marcus?

BlueThird said:
Don't think anyone's going to be particularly surprised to learn that this one is a veneer. The model number is GA150Q, so it's in nothing like the same league as an LS420.

Internal routing is slightly different to what I expected. Given that the electrics are just what you'd expect in a Love Rock, even down to the Fifties style wiring, I imagined there would be a diagonal channel going from the controls across to the switch. Instead, each of the pickup routes is served separately, with the switch cable passing only through the neck cavity.

Cavities are extremely tidy ??much more so than on my Love Rock ? and the neck tenon is the longest I've seen. Here's a pic from the German Tokai website (not of my guitar):

IMG_5937%20(Medium).JPG

What do you reckon to yours, Marcus?

It looks like these anniversaries are done with different CNC machines than the rest of Japanese Love Rocks. The smal assisting cavities are differernt shape. In all the other japanese Love Rocks these cavities are square.

Matti

Okay, I'm tardy in posting this - sorry boys. Here's the new Anniversary in a gorgeous violin finish. Well appointed - Faber aluminum locking tailpiece, Faber bridge with brass saddles, orange drop caps. Came with factory 10's on it but I've upped them to 11's.

Nice and light at around 8.5 lbs, flawless frets, Love Rock neck profile (chunky but not fat) that feels wider - kind of like SG wide. Very comfortable to play. Tone wise, sustain for days and the MKII pickups are nice and warm but punchy when you push them. It has it's own sound - not like a Love Rock, not like an SG - somewhere in between. Never played a PRS so I can't compare.

Gorgeous guitar and certainly one I'm digging. But as someone once told me, a new guitar doesn't make the cut until you gig with it and put it through the paces at live volume.... still test driving it at home to get used to it - being a strat man, doncha know....

Here's a few pics:

005-1.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

010.jpg

Nice wide neck... like a piano! Beautiful rosewood.
I agree it needs to be played.

Hey, let me ask to all: Do you think a new guitar needs to settle in?
Not just being played and one getting used to it, but the guitar itself needs play to develop its sound/character.

Also, a few months ago there was a nice post about necks: thin, fat, wide, slim. It was excellent description. I did a search but can not find. I'd appreciate your help if you can link me to this post.

Special K said:
Not just being played and one getting used to it, but the guitar itself needs play to develop its sound/character.

Absolutely. A new guitar like a new car has a break in period where it settles in a bit.... things loosen up and flex a bit in response to your driving or playing habits. Wood responds to humidity conditions, electronics settle in.

Special K said:

Yes, at least 10 years, Preferably 20 or more!

Mike

Back