A Tokai Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, the more the merrier. If you want your guitar in the book then send me your pics along the lines of the ones I have shown above. I am trying to cover all models, colours and maple / rosewood options but it doesnt stop us putting the same spec guitars in due to condition and paint job variability as well as personal preference to having your own guitars in the book. I will PM you my email address.

Iain

Just trying to finalise the standard information that we will capture on the four text boxes across the 2 pages. Here is my proposal that I would like any comments on.
Name (forum name): Iain Black (iainblack)
Guitar Model : Springy Sound ST 55
Colour code : Metallic Red
Pickups : U
Bridge Saddles : Final Prospec
Tuners : Tokai kluson

There will also be space for Other comments e.g. This guitar was originally bought in Japan and was purchased from the owner in Peru

Let me know what you think. I am also working on the list of models we have to see if we can plug any gaps.

do you guys think this lady from 1985 would be worthy?
loverock55

I'm only doing strats for this book and looking for another 'director' to take on the Les Paul, Tele and others Masterpieces

Folks, one of the ideas is to have a last page of some guitars that we couldn't get for the book and it rounds off the range of finishes. Here are my photos that I have collected so let me know if these belong to you and you do not want them to go into the book (they were publically available photos but I just want to make sure).

If you have any you think would fit in this page please let me know:

blueheadstockgoldie-1.jpg

Tokaitst50-9.jpg

goldtokai.jpg

greentokai.jpg

tokaired.jpg

Hers is the paint code for metallic pink (as seen on a later AST-40, not mine), just for completeness.

2993472_447050.jpg

iainblack said:
Colour code : Metallic Red

Let me know what you think. I am also working on the list of models we have to see if we can plug any gaps.

I think you sould put the Tokai Colour code in there too

Colour code : MR (Metallic Red)

mirrorboy said:
Hers is the paint code for metallic pink (as seen on a later AST-40, not mine), just for completeness.

2993472_447050.jpg

Oops, that photo is from google picasaweb user Frank Grieshaber and I presume that he has the copyright. I can't find a way to contact him so best forget about that one :-?

I havent disappeared. I am still waiting on a few sets of photos before I confirm supporting text but I have drafted a fist shot at an introduction and welcome any comments you may have. I didn't feel it was worth reproducing tables of changes that appear on the registry. let me know what you think (wrtiting an intro by committee may be 'fun'):

In the late 70?s and early 80?s guitar players around the world became aware of some very good quality Japanese electric guitars paying ?homage? to the vintage Stratocaster, Les Paul and other classic designs. These guitars were produced by the Tokai Gakki Co., Ltd, founded in Hamamatsu, Japan in 1947.

Many of these guitars, some now over 30 years old and considered vintage themselves, are still being enjoyed by their owners to this day. Good word of mouth and cheaper, lower quality copies have resulted in a strong resale market on the likes of electronic auction site eBay. Guitars are reaching over twice their original purchase price (do people want me to comment on price for fear of pushing them up further?). Many players comment that these extraordinary instruments are as good, if not better that contemporary re-issues by the manufacturers of the original models!

Part of the appeal of these guitars is the myth and mystery surrounding them. Rumoured lawsuits resulting in logo and design changes all the way to customs officials sawing headstocks off impounded guitars have been hotly debated. There were also changing specifications of the models through the years including wood types, paint finishes, lacquer specifications, hardware materials and logos, pick ups etc. you name it. Many people seek the model or year of manufacture of their Tokai to confirm where their guitar fits in to the legend.

This book was created out of a love for Tokai guitars by players and collectors who frequent the online Tokai Forum, part of the Tokai Registry website. It was decided to concentrate on the Stratocaster design for the first volume of what is hoped will be a series of photo books. The aim was to capture the breadth and diversity of the stratocasters that Tokai have produced over the years. We have tried to cover all paint finishes and detail the specifications of the main elements that vary throughout the Tokai models. There are some duplicates that show the differences even in the same or similar models and this mirrors what was seen in the classic guitars that they aim to emulate.

Some of the members of the Tokai Forum even got together in the UK in early 2009 to meet and share our love of these guitars (see cover for photos). We hope that this book serves as a record of these great instruments that will continue to be played and admired for another 30 years and beyond.

For more information on Tokai guitars please visit the following sites:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/

http://www.tokairegistry.com/

Sorry Iain, but I'm not sure that text really does the trick, specially the price stuff. Can't you PM Andrew Munro and ask his permission to use parts of his article from Guitar & Bass mag? That was really nicely worded - why re-invent the wheel? He's a forum member, & he was helped out by us (well, me....) with pics for his article. Hopefully he would be amenable.

8)

iainblack said:
Can you please give me Andrews user name as I didn't find anything via the search.

I believe this is the right one Iain.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4915

Hi all,

Apologies for having been absent from the forum, but Iain sent me a note and I agreed to write a foreword based on the article in Guitar & Bass. Just a quick question based on the comment above, how do people feel about referring to the price increase / investment value of the guitars within this piece? I'm happy to go either way but think that maybe any comment on this should be, at best, muted. Let me know what you think.

As for the project, I think it's fantastic and I'm keen to include my own two Springy Sounds (both 50's style in two-tone sunburst, an ST50 and ST80) in the mix.

Andrew

amunro said:
how do people feel about referring to the price increase / investment value of the guitars within this piece? I'm happy to go either way but think that maybe any comment on this should be, at best, muted. Let me know what you think.

Glad to hear you're writing something Andrew.

In my opinion you got the balance about right in your article. To paraphrase, the 70s/80s Tokai Strats are likely to continue to hold their value as great guitars, but are unlikley to ever go up the way the 50s & 60s stuff did, not least because of the quantities made. A Goldie may be great, but very few of them are truly rare.

Iain, just been looking over the proof pages from the book you posted. The pics and layout look great, is there going to be any text accompanying the pics? I think a few details and maybe a paragraph about each guitar might be nice.

Hi All, I have written the first draft based on the original article and would welcome any feedback or comments.

I couldn't work out how to post it up here (other than as a very long message) so have put it on hidden page on my own website. Please follow this link: http://burningpine.com/TokaiForeword.aspx.

One question which is top of my mind is length. The piece is about 2,200 words long (around the same length as the original). That feels a bit long for a simple introduction/foreword. However, it does include - hopefully - the history and some of the legend which is Tokai as we know and love it so, on balance, I have left it longer than I originally thought. Let me know what you think.

Andrew,

I think that's excellent. As for length, the model for guitar photo books is (IMHO) Norman's Rare Guitars. Norman narrates the story of how he got into vintage guitars, but the text is broken up into about 6 chunks of a half page or so spread out through the A4 sized book. Could that be done? Or it may be fine as a foreword - it's not really that long.

One relevant point that you may want to include - Silver Stars were only originally released onto the Japanese market (unlike Springys & Goldies), so they have only recently become available in the rest of the world as individual buyers (and a few on-line dealers) import them. This would fit in nicely to the paragraph where you quote Peter Mac on the quality question.

The other bit of text that I feel is vital for the book to make sense is a brief explanation (somewhere in the book) of the differences between ST40, 50 60 etc. It's something that everybody who is new to Tokai wants to know, so it's vital in my opinion.

Iain - I hope you have a block decal Strat to illustrate the transition period between Springys & Goldies?

Final point, & it's a slight correction to something in the srticle. I'm not suggesting you change your text Andrew as you're quoting what is commonly believed, but you state that the Goldstar decal is "a gold lettered script that couldn?t be mistaken for the famous Fender". Really? The Springy decal was very close to the pre-64 Fender spaghetti decal, but the Goldstar decal wasn't a million miles away from the '64 to '67 Fender transition decal. I'm surprised how few people notice that - including Fender, apparently!

133_3378.jpg

Back