A lot of coin for a lot of unknowns

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentaplacenta

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Greco-EG59-LP-Standard-Killer-Flame-Top-LOOK-MIJ_W0QQitemZ200095190230QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Where is the fret edge binding if this is such a high end Greco? Can't imagine the pups are Dry, I mean who takes stickers off the back of pups? 2-piece back - at what model point are 1-piece backs?

What sayeth the experts?

I noticed this one last night before going to bed

2 things turned me off on this one; the truss rod cover is not original & the electronics have been f7#(ed with

the shape of the truss rod cover could help in determining an '81 from a '91

don't know why someone would jack with those nice, original, black caps in the Grecos; oh well.......

if it were original I might possibly have been interested but..................

$15 a piece Hoveland caps...yeah, that's a real bummer. :roll: You oughta hear this thing.

Truss rod cover?? Really? I can't fathom that making or breaking a sale.

BTW, this is not my guitar...I am an independent guitar tech and know the seller. He brings all his stateside guitars to me for set-ups.
I'm pretty impressed with these guitars in general. So much so that I bought one! Even the ones he says are cheaper models are pretty cool.
:p

Chuckracer said:
$15 a piece Hoveland caps...yeah, that's a real bummer. :roll: You oughta hear this thing.

BTW, this is not my guitar...I am an independent guitar tech and know the seller. He brings all his stateside guitars to me for set-ups.
I'm pretty impressed with these guitars in general. So much so that I bought one! Even the ones he says are cheaper models are pretty cool.

Hi Chuckracer,

As MIJ stated above, the truss rod cover can help in identifying the guitar. That is just one of the things that these guy's will look for. Being a vintage amp nut and electronic tech I also know that some of the older capacitors had a certain character to them that Hovland and Sozo and others are trying capture. The vintage caps don't have to be Bumble Bees either as there were many good ones available. The thing is that the old ones may have been fine and the guitar would still be in original condition. Also the Hovlands can be bought for 8.75 each at Tube Depot. I agree that the cheaper guitars can be good. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I had a $500 Hamer that walked all over many LP's in the tone department.

Thank you! A very informative post!! :D

I just thought the guitar was being unfairly degraded, because I'm "in the hand" familiar with it, and it's almost as good as my Orville By Gibson, but then I am a tad biased! :wink:

The construction looks just like my guitar, with the neck heel cap and just the general feel of the guitar. I've seen this more than once and wonder if the early ninties Orvilles and Grecos were pretty much the same guitar...guess I'll have to keep examining them!

Chuckracer said:

some people prefer the more certain aspects that originality brings; you should buy it :lol:

True...and others are Guitar Players that would appreciate the guitar as an instrument, but I understand. I'm a former (reformed!) San Dimas Charvel collector, so I understand the need for the details to be right sometimes.

I guess I'd have to say that, as compared to my Orville, it's a '91.

I'd love to buy it! Just not in the cards right now...

True, and some people like originality & they are players too.

Here's a 1981 Greco truss cover
GrecoTruss1981.jpg

Here's a later, similar style, from 1990
GrecoTruss1990.jpg

Notice the difference in taper, among other differing features
If the eBay guitar had a truss cover of this style, determining the age as a 1981 versus a 1991 would be a rather easy task.

From the text of the listing, the seller has already created enough 'mystery' without having more thrown in the mix from a missing part.
It's an interesting guitar, no doubt, but considering the asking price, there needs to be more defining attributes.
Originality inside & out, and/or more certainty, could be what gets the seller what he's asking for price.
Maybe you understand, now......................................

its a 1991 (EG59-85 or poss EG59-100 but i think 85..)

greco went back to the closed O in 1991 for the mint collection...

and in answer to the original question.. only mint collection EG59-180 has a one piece back..

villager said:

and in answer to the original question.. only mint collection EG59-180 has a one piece back..

what did I tell you smokin'?

villager is da man

You are correct. The Guitar God title is well deserved. I noticed I'm a plucker. After a few more posts do I become a mother plucker? :lol:

Chuckracer said:
True...and others are Guitar Players that would appreciate the guitar as an instrument, but I understand. I'm a former (reformed!) San Dimas Charvel collector, so I understand the need for the details to be right sometimes.

I guess I'd have to say that, as compared to my Orville, it's a '91.

I'd love to buy it! Just not in the cards right now...

If you are just a guitar player, you will find as good for a lot cheaper.

Why doesn't this have fret edge binding? Assuming the frets are original (no mention of refret in ad.)

villager said:

Funny, I sent the seller a note suggesting to him that is WAS a 1991 model as well, but he pretty much told me I didn't know what I was talking about in his reply, that there was no Mint Collection in 1991, its a transitional 1981 model, etc. Now we know better, eh?

Hi- i am the owner of this fine guitar! I am a Burny collector, and this is my first greco , just trying to find out what year and what model # eg-85, eg-100 ? "Why doesn't this have fret edge binding? Assuming the frets are original (no mention of refret in ad.) -because its below an EG59-120 " - --it did have fret-edge binding , there was a refret ( I can see a little of the F-E-B. left down about the 18-22 frets) ---- so if its a 91 , what model had F-E-B. ? ---- if there is no F.E.B. in 91 then its a 81 .

Latest posts

Back