'80 Super Real EGF1200 on ebay ****BARGAIN ALERT****

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentaplacenta

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Greco-Super-Real-EGF-1200-Rare-Vintage_W0QQitemZ170082442388QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well I've been dealing with him the last couple days for my Greco SW-1200 and he's fast to ship (once you pay) and very helpful with additional information...

koiz has another EGF1200 on his web site too.............
EGF-1200.jpg

And why can I be so sure about this ? Because I've got the original Greco 1980 catalogue and there is no mentioning there about a EFG 1200 model. The only guitar with Dry Z pickups produced in 1980 was the EFG1800 model. The EFG 1200 model arrived in 1981 as you can see in the scans from the 81 catalogue on the internet.

Sure, USD 3500 is a lot of money but hey; EFG 1800, ECX condition, OHC ,and I've got the original catalogue to prove it ......
Guess I have a smile on my face on the way to the bank a few years from now ...

Best regards

Per Arne
Fuji Gen Gakki collector in Norway

oh dear you just paid a lot of money for an EGF-1200..

its NOT an 1800..thats for sure...

why not..ok the PU cavities are painted black, this was not done on the 1800's as they are solid top, the black paint was to hide the laminate top on the 1000's and the 1200's,

1800's have 1800 written in the non-painted PU cavity, under the nitro finish and also 1800 written under the truss rod cover...

you have a Greco catalogue from early 1980, the EGF-1200's were launched at the end of 1980, I have both 1980 and 1981 EGF-1200's

sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

OOOOPPPPPPSSSSSS !!!!

Villager ; thanks for your posting. Now, let' s see whats Kioz 48-hour appoval period is worth in this auction .....

(Better to loose USD 270 - 300 on shipping , than spending USD 1500 to much ..) Kinda makes me glad that my EFG 1000 from 81 only did cost USD 780 ...

Excellent guitar BTW.

Best regards
Per Arne[/img]

So only the EGF-1800 has a solid maple top? Does that mean all EGF-1200, 1000, 850 have laminates? :eek:

Koiz's guitars are notoriously over-priced. He has a Burny FLG-70 or 80 on his site for $1500 USD - it's the one with the red top that looks like it's been through a war.
I bought a Rock n' Roll Junior off him once for $550 USD but I think that was the last OK deal he has ever had.
He says he buys guitars as well so I've started to offer him some of mine for ridiculous prices - he hasn't taken me up on it yet. :wink:

MIJvintage said:
hope nobody gets me wrong here; I'm not endorsing koiz as a seller

I won't even buy from him

buyer beware........................

Is he a bad seller? I am considering a purchase.

why would someone think that they were purchasing a 1800 model when the listing title clearly states EGF 1200?

Maybe I missed something; I've only had 1 cup of coffee...............

"Have I ever played one?" No, I have not.
I prefer other brands with smaller necks, and a much lower price point. The Greco EG models I have owned all had bigger necks than I prefer.
I have seen nearly as much inconsistency in body back construction in many Greco models as I have in the much lower priced Burnys that I prefer, and my ears prefer the tonal response of the Burny VH-1s. Greco has U2000, Double Trick, Scream'in, Dry, Z, etc., etc., pickups, and it's just a tad too much for me to keep up with considering I do not have the reference materials that some here have available. I am quite happy with the low budget Burnys and the run of the mill VH-1s as I am really a Strat guy anyways..........

read the post and you will see why he thought it was an 1800..

yes the greco's do have fat necks, but they are my personal fav in the japanese genre..the amount of back pieces, and lam or solid tops are to me a secondary consideration to tone, and the higher model greco's have that in spades, i must say though i do love the VH-1's, and I have a couple of burnys which are superb guitars..the burnys are the bargains in the japanese bunch..at the moment, but i only like the early ones with the normal truss cover, the prices of these will keep rising..mark my words..

Latest posts

Back