60's neck MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff

Reaction score
I did a search, but u get a million posts searching for neck profile or neck dimensions, so i hope u don't mind asking me.

I'm in the market for a tokai ls80/ls120, greco, navigator..
But from what i've read these are 59 replica's, and most come with a fat neck. Since i have bought my 58 OBG flying V, i realised i like thinner necks.

So what vintage MIJ would u experts advise?

The later Mint Collection Grecos have smaller necks that the earlier Super Reals, also OBG's, both pretty chuncky though!

Thank u for the fast reply's.

stratman323 said:
A Strat.

:lol:

I sold the strat, it had the biggest V neck ever (54 japan reissue).

Really want humbuckers too.
So my best bet is probably an OBG standard?
Really had my eye on one of villagers tokai's.

:(

Guess the search continious.

Some of the Tokais are slimmer than others, my LS80 neck isn't too big at all. Also, have you considered a LP custom, the OBG customs have very slim necks.

johnA, do u have some pictures of the side of the neck of your ls80?
Yes a custom could maybe work, altough i prefer something more burst looking.

Maybe i'll just have to go for a used gibson classic.

Mick51 said:
duff said:

No rap on Gibsons, I have several. But for a Gibson LP classic, compared to a Tokai.. You'll be sorry..

If it has the neck profile he likes, he probably wont be sorry...
The early 90's Classics were actually really good.

Mick51 said:
duff said:

No rap on Gibsons, I have several. But for a Gibson LP classic, compared to a Tokai.. You'll be sorry..

Early 90's classics are fantastic guitars, seriously.
Still would love to see some pictures of a tokai ls-80/120 neck profile. Someone just told me they are between a 59 & 60's neck, so it could work..

duff said:
johnA, do u have some pictures of the side of the neck of your ls80?
Yes a custom could maybe work, altough i prefer something more burst looking.

There you go, not very scientific, but I don't have big hands and find the neck great, compared to my Greco or even my LS120 it's noticably smaller:

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

duff said:
johnA, thank u very much, that actually doesnt look to bad, for me :wink:
i might have to just try one..

Where are you located?

And for Mike to say it's a beautiful neck is really something, he doesn't do chunky!

Not really convienient to drop by and try it then :wink:

While you're online, update your profile with your location like this
<-------

Hi,

For what it's worth, I'll give you my experience. I have had an '98 Orville , a '92 ObG and '94 ObG and now I have a Tokai LS100 Reborn. All have the same neck, a bit slimmer. The only experience I have had with a fatter neck (D shape?) was with a Gibson custom shop '68 Custom reissue, and that I didn't like so much.

My suggestion, check with Villager of japanguitars.co.uk since he has a big selection of MIJ. Maybe it also depends on what style of guitar you are looking for. A Les Paul could have a different neck than let's say an SG or an ES model.

Hope this helps.

Greetz from sunny Lisbon,

Joop

Latest posts

Back