2010 Tokai Love Rock MH-2 pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not discussing what is "vintage correct" here, Diamond. I am aware of the difference between thin (maple top visible in a cutaway) and thick binding (current Gibsons which are not historics), and I write this for the third time.

"The reason it's the 5th Tokai you've seen like that is because they're all like that."
Yeah, I know that all new Tokais are like it, because Tokai is sloppy these days in terms of finish quality.

messer said:
We are not discussing what is "vintage correct" here, Diamond. I am aware of the difference between thin (maple top visible in a cutaway) and thick binding (current Gibsons which are not historics), and I write this for the third time.

"The reason it's the 5th Tokai you've seen like that is because they're all like that."
Yeah, I know that all new Tokais are like it, because Tokai is sloppy these days in terms of finish quality.

Dude.

Talk to yourself, I'm not listening to your cr*p any more...if you're in a bad mood then go fight with your wife.

Have I offended you in any way Diamond?

I guess that's just a typical reaction of professional seller when he runs out of arguments. Ad personam attacks on inconvenient people who question quality of their product.

Let me see if I understand you messer.
This feature where you can see a part of the maple under the binding is in your eyes sloppy craftmanship because it should be sprayed over so you can't see it?

LS140? Might be mistaking but in the 2010 catalog the only LS140 is a flametop (LS140F)

LS98? Again, no LS98 plaintops in the catalog and a LS98 doesn't have nitro... This one does for sure (acetone tested it myself...)

Or isn't Tokai showing all the models and variations in their catalog?

The LS140 was a guess before you put up a link to the pictures.
Yes, there are shop orders.
Ok I understand now you have the guitar in question already. So what's on the guarantee card I saw in the Meestursparkle pics?

jacco said:
Let me see if I understand you messer.
This feature where you can see a part of the maple under the binding is in your eyes sloppy craftmanship because it should be sprayed over so you can't see it?
You are driving me insane dude. Is your question serious?
Do I really need to write it for the fourth time?
Here you go: I clearly understand, that in vintage Gibsons, binding around guitar was uniform, same width in every place including cutaway. That caused maple top to be visible. That visibility of maple is not a flaw, it's a feature.
Is this some top secret knowledge about vintage Gibsons, that you think that I'm not aware of it?

Gibson decided to use thick binding in cutaway area, probably to cut finishing time, because it is problematic to finish it precisely.
Tokai is producing their guitars with thin binding, with maple top visible.

My point is:
Tokai finish in cutaway area is sloppy.

Examples of Tokais with sloppy finish:

Maple top shouldn't be visible under a "horn" binding (I marked it with red lines on the left). And what's that kink in a paint line (marked with a circle):

This drunken, wavy paint lines are not "vintage correct", "experts"...
IMG_5075.jpg

Compare with Gibson:

Goldtop with P90:
http://www.mylespaul.com/gallery/data/2/100_03431.jpg

Probably R9:
thinbinding-f.jpg

Page copy:
DSC_0611.jpg

The difference between finish quality is obvious.
I acknowledge that we can say the same about Tokai vs Gibson price tag in case of low end Tokai :D
But what about LS-320 if we know that Tokai doesn't give a f,uck about perfecting inlays in their high end Love Rocks? ->Tokai inlays topic

Funny how several of us didn't understand you, maybe it occurred to you that could have something to do with you?
I do understand you now though. Very well indeed. Good luck hunting!

I'm not a native English speaker. So it might be the case :D (Is it obvious when you read my posts? Funny question :roll:)

I've written in my first post in this topic:
"(Note that I don't address this characteristic 58/59 visible part of top wood, which is a result of thin binding.)"

Isn't that clear enough?

jacco said:
The LS140 was a guess before you put up a link to the pictures.
Yes, there are shop orders.
Ok I understand now you have the guitar in question already. So what's on the guarantee card I saw in the Meestursparkle pics?

First thing I checked, no luck: it's the "Don't-spill-batteryacid-on-finish-or- throw-from-building-or-warranty-won't-be-valid"-card (in Japanese...)

Well, guess it will remain a mystery on the what's and when's. Nothing left to do but play her untill she falls apart...

Well she has got the looks of a LS160 and most of the specs; if it had a 1P back & ornage drops it would have been a 160. The caps look like they have been changed to me, is that the case?

Heh, just gave the Meestursparkle pics another look and I see that this one has oval tab routing instead of the normal square tab routing. I'm more a vintage Tokai guy, has the tab routing been changed the past decade?

And I forgot to mention the MH-2 pups are not standard for ther 160.
I'm surprised Diamond doesn't know these pups.

jacco said:
Well she has got the looks of a LS160 and most of the specs; if it had a 1P back & ornage drops it would have been a 160. The caps look like they have been changed to me, is that the case?

Well, they are now: changed it to 50's wiring using those Sprague's. Don't think Tokai puts old/vintage Vitamin Q's in their guitars. Maybe change the tailpiece for an aluminum one

Spec-wise you're right: it's somewhere in the middle of a LS160 and a LS140. I thought of that when I got my wallet out... :wink:
Got this for the price a brand new LS-80/LS92 (no nitro, no case, no real chunky neck) goes for in the Netherlands, so all&all I'm happy :D

jacco said:
Heh, just gave the Meestursparkle pics another look and I see that this one has oval tab routing instead of the normal square tab routing. I'm more a vintage Tokai guy, has the tab routing been changed the past decade?

And I forgot to mention the MH-2 pups are not standard for ther 160.
I'm surprised Diamond doesn't know these pups.

uh....tab-routing??? :eek:

masco said:
jacco said:

Well, they are now: changed it to 50's wiring using those Sprague's. Don't think Tokai puts old/vintage Vitamin Q's in their guitars. Maybe change the tailpiece for an aluminum one

Spec-wise you're right: it's somewhere in the middle of a LS160 and a LS140. I thought of that when I got my wallet out... :wink:
Got this for the price a brand new LS-80/LS92 (no nitro, no case, no real chunky neck) goes for in the Netherlands, so all&all I'm happy :D

Ah een Nederlander, waar woon je?

And back to English:
Yes, Tokai uses NOS caps in their highest models; bumble bees & black beauties.

Tab routing; is the routing for the tabs of the pickups in the pickup cavity.
Here's your with oval tab routing:

DSC_0426.jpg

Here's my former 1978 Burny FLG70 (made by Tokai) with the for Tokai normal square tab routing:

neckpickupcavity.jpg

I've only seen oval tab routing in Tokai's shop order LPs from the late 90s so far. But I must admit I'm normally not interested in current Tokai, so maybe I am wrong here and the current feature oval tab routing.
That cutout in the neck picjup cavity look like it's done on purpose, maybe it's a 'K', the first letter of a certai shop. The TRC shape is also odd.

Gemert, Brabant...

No idea about the tab routing. Maybe teh luthier just had a "fun" day: ...let's give em something to talk about on that Tokai forum...

I do not know enough of the entire process but I think this is done with a routing machine.

BTW don't let messer see this 'flaw' on Mitch Malloy's custom made Bacchus :wink:

flaw.jpg

Here I am, Quality Control Police :D

I don't see any flaw there jacco ; )

Latest posts

Back