2010 Tokai Love Rock MH-2 pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masco

Reaction score
Anybody got an idea what these are?

They're in my 2010 Tokai Love Rock. It doesn't fit any catalog-description, As far as specs go its all over the place:

- Switchcraft parts, Nitro-finish (acetone-tested), long tenon, CTS pots, Sprague Vitamin Q caps, Two piece Maple top, Violin Finish (looks!!!), massive '50-s neck.
- 3 piece back, zinc tailpiece.

Only real ID on it are the pickups (MH-2???) and a engraved mark in the neck-cavity.

Custom order?

Would be useful to see pic's of the guitar to help determine what model love rock it is. Also please add the location to your profile as it might help to know if it's a distributor special order in a particular country. Could the ID on the pickups be Mk 2? What is the neck pocket marking?

Did you buy it new or second hand and where from - Japan, UK or Germany?

Dave

MKII, not MHII.

The specs make no sense, especially the 3 piece back part.

Post a photo.

Can't post pictures yet...

But I've got this link from Meestursparkle's Photobucket of the guitar in question:

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn184/dangerdog777/009/460/?action=view&current=DSC_0362.jpg

That looks like a 1 piece back to me, it just got a darker shade of maho in it on the side, making it a LS160.
You're right about the pups though, never heard of MH pups. Soldering of the pups seems to be original but can't say for sure with these pics. Caps have been changed.
BTW strange tooling marks in the neck pup cavity and TRC (to me).

Yep, when you have it in your hands it's a 3-piece for sure. PU's are all original, no soldering marks. Lower output but they sound great (lower input: crank the amp!)

As for the exact type: I don't really care , it's a real great guitar overall. Just interested in the "history" (2010!)

Don't know what those pickups are but It could be an LS98 with upgraded/changed pots, caps and pups.

Can definitely see it's at least a two piece back from one of the side view.

DSC_0402.jpg

What did meestersparkle say it was in the auction?

Dave

What's up with Tokai lately?

DSC_0393.jpg

Can't they pay 5 fucking minutes of their legendary detail attention to properly lay a paint layer around binding in a cutaway?
It's probably 5th Tokai that I see with a lousy job in cutaway area.
(Note that I don't adress this characteristic 58/59 visible part of top wood, which is a result of thin binding.)

Add to that lazy inlay jobs and where's that "Tokai quality" which is advertised so much by guys like Diamond?

What paint are you taliking about? I can't see any paint layer. I can only see evidence of the maple cap....

Dave

Don't try to cast a spell on reality, it is lazy and lousy job...

You can call me a pedant or sth, but I'm not buying another new Tokai without seeing it.

Not at all, I've mentioned in my first post of this topic:
"(Note that I don't adress this characteristic 58/59 visible part of top wood, which is a result of thin binding.) "

I am aware very well, that Gibson is now using thick binding, which covers that visible part of maple top:

DSCN2179.jpg

Enlighten me then, "experts"...

Gibsons thick binding looks awful, but I like it better than lousy finished cutaway with thin binding.

I think that Gibsons thick one is similiar "improvement" to rounded edges of pearl marker inlays.
It allows them to cut costs of finishing guitars.
(They don't need to cut sharp edges of marker slots in fretboards if markers have them rounded, and they don't need to pay any attention to finish in a cutaway area if it's covered by thick binding.)

Gibson USA uses thick binding, Gibson "Custom Shop" Historics have thin binding exactly like the Tokai you have, which is vintage correct.

The reason it's the 5th Tokai you've seen like that is because they're all like that.

Your guitar is not nitro, and it's a 3 piece body...looks like you bought an LS92.

Latest posts

Back