Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question bewtween ST80 & ST80

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pharold38
Guitar God


Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 51
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Newbie question bewtween ST80 & ST80 Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the differences between the ST50 & ST80 strat models?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisheyes
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 714
Location: NW England

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer

1. Body made of less parts
2. Better quality pickups
3. Guitar painted with Nitrocellulose based paint, rather than Poly

This equaltes to more tone and sustain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisheyes wrote:
Guitar painted with Nitrocellulose based paint, rather than Poly


I thought this was only on the Springys? Don't all Goldstars have poly finishes?
Back to top
villager
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Mar 2005
Posts: 3502
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree slightly....some ST-50's have a 2 piece body, and U series are certainly not worse than E series... just different...E series are hotter and U are more vintage-like...I actually prefer the U series for my strat, however I agree on the poly nitro thing...
_________________
http://www.japanguitars.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chrisheyes
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 714
Location: NW England

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:


I thought this was only on the Springys? Don't all Goldstars have poly finishes?


Since this question was posted in the older than '85 section the vast majority of ST-80's would have been Spring Sounds.

Correct me, if I'm worong but Goldstars appeared in '84, and there weren't many ST-80 made

I tried to simplify the answer I gave as much as possible.
I could have gone onto the Sen Ash / Swamp Ash / Alder debate !

In general terms ST-80 are considered to be better made and more toneful than ST-50. However, as with anything Tokai does there will be exceptions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
togps
Guitar God


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2043
Location: Bavaria, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisheyes wrote:
... However, as with anything Tokai does there will be exceptions

..... however, I'll do my best, to bring these exceptions to zero and I'm trying to compensate these gaps with facts.
I don't like to see any Springy Sounds announced in several Ebay auctions as ST80ies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

togps wrote:
I don't like to see any Springy Sounds announced in several Ebay auctions as ST80ies.


Why?
Back to top
togps
Guitar God


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2043
Location: Bavaria, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Why?

instead of "any" you should read "every"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the only people to blame for that are Tokai themselves. If the only marking is a small cheap looking sticker on the back of the neck, saying 50, 80 etc, it's no wonder that it's hard for non-experts to tell which model a guitar is. In many cases, people removed the sticker because it looked nasty, in other cases the sticker just wore away or got rubbed off.

Surely Tokai could have used a better way of identifying which model a guitar is?
Back to top
settebello
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1241
Location: France

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,they do,but only on older ones.


Volker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luis
Guitar God


Joined: 15 Sep 2001
Posts: 2305
Location: Spain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokais came with a tag board where the model is said.New Love Rocks come with it too... As fas this guitars have not benn very regarded until we "discover" them it??s not usual original user to keep that tags.
Yes it?s not easy to tell the model if you?re not on Tokais, you had to own and play them to know what you say nad take a lot of time getting pics and following auctions and sales. In my case it was a lot of time consuming and it?s 6 years since I started with Tokais and found Peter Mac,Loverocker and Lee(all old forum mebers).....Those were times
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group