New Edwards Blackie Strat Review and Pictures

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Hi all....

Just had a chance to take my new Edwards Blackie Strat (model E-SE-100M/RE) out for a test drive during a 4 hour gig this past Saturday.

All I can say is that Edwards really is doing a great job in building their guitars. This one is light, punchy and every bit a Strat up against all of the others I own - maybe more so. It's comfortable and it has a very accurate 54 Strat soft V neck profile - nicely aged too (the lacquer gets a little sticky when your hands get hot and sweaty - just like it should). Set up was immaculate right out of the box. Other than changing the strings to 11's, nothing else was needed. Here are the specs (pics to follow):

7 1/4 lbs
Alder body
Duncan SSL-1 p'ups (really nice clear tone)
CTS pots
Switchcraft jack and 5 pos selector
Gotoh "deluxe" tuners
Steel trem block (magnet stuck like glue)
vintage cloth braided wire
Nice fat medium jumbo frets
Nice thin nitro finish

The only negative comment I have is with regard to the relic treatment. If you're going to relic a guitar, relic ALL of it (pickguard assembly is sparklingly white, tuners and other hardware are bright and shiny, etc). Also alot of the dings and nicks are the same size and shape and are pointing in the same direction. Hell, I do a better job of beating up my own non relic guitars. But the rubs and bare spots in the wood are well placed and fairly accurate. All and all, I think I'm keeping this one. Has a great sound and a neck that's worth it all. Here are a few pics:

blackie1.jpg

blackie2.jpg

blackie3.jpg

blackie4.jpg

blackie5.jpg

Glad to hear you're happy with the Edwards Blackie relic; looks like a very fun Strat, and I like that weight, nice & lite

You recently obtained the black Edwards ES too, correct?

Maybe you should try an Edwards Jr. :wink:

Thanks Rich.....really is a nice Strat.

MIJvintage said:
You recently obtained the black Edwards ES too, correct?

Yup....haven't had a go with her yet. Too many guitars and only two hands. I can tell you that she is killer looking - black with aged binding and gold hardware. The coolest thing is that when I open the case to have a peek, the aroma of fresh nitro comes wafting out.......I'll report on her soon.

Maybe you should try an Edwards Jr.
Oh I will in a couple of days! :wink:

marcusnieman said:
The coolest thing is that when I open the case to have a peek, the aroma of fresh nitro comes wafting out.......I'll report on her soon.

I purchased (and eventually sold) 3 Eric Johnson Strats, and that is one of the things I liked about them; opening up those cases and all of that FRESH nitro wafting through the house :)

Marcus,

Thanks for that review ... I'm happy about your positive feedback ... she's a great looking axe ... Congrats ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But - if you'll compare to your outstanding Tokai-Strats ... what's the result ??? Or did you include those nice guitars already into your summary ???

Roger

BTW - procedure as usual - could you please give me your excellent pics for my Edwards homepage as you did already on your JP Relic ???
Would be great !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PM me ... then ?? :wink: :wink:

Thanks Roger....

Yeah, I A / B tested it against Tokai Springy with the maple neck and the Edwards holds it's own against it. The Tokai is a bit lighter and the pickup output is a little mellower - probably because it's more seasoned at over 20 years old.

The other Springy with the rosewood neck (ST80 I think we all agreed it was) is a totally different sounding guitar - as nice as a Fender Custom Shop easily. Nice as it is, the Edwards takes a back seat to this one.

Mind you, I think I have about 9 Strats but most of them are rosewood necks (65, 65 relic, Fender Japan 65, Fender Japan 83 or 84 E series hardtail, Jimmie Vaughan signature, Silver Star, etc). The closest one to the Edwards with a maple neck is the Jimmie Vaughan but it has Texas Specials p'ups with an extra hot bridge p'up and it comes with the tone control on the bridge p'up and the middle wide open - it's alot hotter than the Edwards but the weight and neck profile is really close.

PM sent to you.....I'll send you the pics. Need your email addy....

Hey Marcus,

Just a quick question about the blackie - how deep is the wear in the fretboard? It's a sweet looking guitar but I don't know how much I'd want to buy a guitar that appears to be that worn (factory relic or not). What's your take on it after playing it? Thanks

Jason

The wear on the fretboard is not that deep at all - it's some masterful sanding and aging that they did to give the appearance of over 40 years of fingernail wear. Sure some of the finish thickness is gone but there is lacquer atop the "divots" - it's not gouged, bare wood like it looks. Splendid attention to detail on this thing.

Sweet guitar Marcus. I am a fan of a good Strat. :D
Carry it with you to the Dallas Guitar Show and show it off. :wink:

Back