Lack of guitar volume

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
Need a bit of help guys.

Just bagged an Ibanez Sa160QM on evil-bay for a bargain price. It was pretty filthy - but has cleaned up a treat, but I have discovered an electrical issue.

Basically it's not loud enough - in order to get any kind of usuable sound out I have to crank the amp to eleven and beyond (nothing wrong with that - but I'm not getting the teeth shattering volume 11 and beyond should bring).

It's the same accross all pickup selections, but seems worse on in betweens (could just be imagining that). So unless all three p/ups are shot I'm assuming it's something in the wiring - ie pots, jack,switch or capacitor (there aint much else there).

I figured that I'd just replace it all, but before I dived in I thought Id get some second opinions - primarily to see if anyone can suggest a good starting point.

So any ideas welcome on that (I hate soldering, so anything that I can do to avoid it or reduce it is really welcome).

Sounds like a cold or poor solder joint somewhere or perhaps a frayed wire. Henever I have had that sort of problem with a guitar it has turned out to be that.

Yeah you need to open her up Bruce and have a look. If it is a cold joint then it's an easy fix. I hate soldering too but if that's all it is then you're laughing.

Thanks guys - help is always much appreciated

I hit the whole of the wiring with some contact cleaing spray and the whole thing just came to life.

The guitar did look a bit neglected, and so I'm wondering if a build up gunk or mild corrosion on either the switch or tone pot may have been the underlying cause. It's been working well for a couple of weeks, but I've notcied the tone pot can be a little scratchy - so I'll give it another blast and maybe replace the pot.

Back